CREDIT CARD SCAM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
I recently signed up for a 30 day free credit report monitoring trial offer where after the 30 days they charge your credit card a monthly fee ($9.95). I did my homework and checked Consumer Affairs and the BBB and found no negative info so I signed up on line. The reason being is I had an unknown couple ( that I had never even heard of) with address' in 14 different states ( did a backround check on them) use my name as a credit reference on a credit application . Nothing ever came of this and I cancelled my subscription to this service well within the required 30 days. buuuuuuuut.
What a fluster cuck it's been the last 90 days. This credit reporting company apparently has several other business' and uses your credit card # to make fraudulent charges. When you dispute these charges they again use a different company name and make more fraudulent charges to your card under that company name. This has gone on for 2 billing cycles so I finally got smart and had my account # changed. Hopefully this will stop the madness. Any advice on this wood be appreciated. I normally am very carefull when it comes to CC's but this took me by surprise.
Another thing that pissed me off about this is the amount of time I spent on the phone talking to some foreigner who I could barely understand and they as well could not understand what my problem was and/or how to fix it. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Check and see if your bank has a service called virtual cc #. What they do for online purchases is issue you a one time use credit card # that is good for only 1 purchase. It keeps your true cc # secure and in reserve for in person charges. I have never seen one of those "free for X days" offers be easy to cancel or not come with enough fine print to give you a headache. Just step away and don't do it...

LEE sorry to hear about this I'd report it to our State Attorney General. You can get all the info on line but last I heard he wants the complaint via snail mail to make it official.

About a year or two ago I switched to using money orders for most of my purchases. I get them free at our bank and, while it does take more time to get them, it saves me time in the long run. I like having copies of all my money orders in my files - instant access. (Bank stopped sending checks back years ago and if there is ever a dispute with a payment for anything - trying to get a copy from the bank is not something I want to get in to.)

Most companies I have bought from on line do accept them. So far haven't run into any problems.

Sorry about your difficulties. It is nice to know that you can get a new card number quite easily these days....

Status
Not open for further replies.