"My EV gave me freedom from the pumps, but took away my freedom to roam"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

armanidog

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2017
Northeast Georgia
My biggest fear about electric cars. Not too many charging stations in rural Georgia.

"I have always loved road trips. It started in my childhood when every so often my dad would arrive home from work early on a Friday afternoon and holler up the stairs to my mom, "Pack up the car, Marsha! Let's get out of town!"

My sister and I would be thrilled for the unexpected adventure, heading out from our home in Victoria to wherever was appealing — Washington state, the British Columbia Interior, the Rockies.

In the spring, I purchased a new electric Volkswagen ID.4, which has a range of more than 400 kilometres on a full charge, and thought this was the perfect opportunity for a road trip back to B.C. to move the rest of my belongings to Ontario.

From my home in Toronto, I decided on a 15,000-km route. I would more or less follow the historic Route 66 to California, staying in old motels with neon signs and taking in the Americana along the way. From Los Angeles, I would head up the coast to Vancouver Island, taking frequent stops to watch waves crash into picture-perfect rocky coves. Coming home, I would meander through B.C. before making my way back through Canada.

Once you own an EV, you are immediately preoccupied with understanding where your next charge will come from. Planning the route required research to ensure there were suitable chargers along the way.

All charging stations are not created equal and, because I intended to cover so much ground, I focused on the fastest ones. I didn't want to spend more than an hour at each refuelling stop during the day; a slower charge was fine when I stopped for the night.

Despite my diligence, I realized almost immediately this trip would not go as I had hoped.

The fast charger in Newport, Mich. — my first planned charge after crossing the border — was not operational despite a review on the PlugShare mobile app saying it had worked days before. I had just enough charge to get to the next fast charger, 135 kilometres away.

Most new EV owners go through a period of "range anxiety," or fear that their charge may not be sufficient to get to the next station. I found myself suffering from a new affliction — "charger anxiety." Even when I was certain to arrive at my next charging station, I couldn't be sure it would work.

Once I got into the mountains of Arizona, the scenery became more spectacular, the charging stations more widely available and I felt empowered to explore further off the beaten path. During my travels through Nevada, California and north to B.C., I could finally relax and enjoy the trip.

On the trip home, that sense of freedom vanished as the Rocky Mountains faded into rolling grasslands and chargers became few and far between.

Covering longer distances meant I was often dependent on a single, small-town charger being operational. If it wasn't, I could spend hours — even an entire day — charging at whatever three-pronged outlet I could find.

On occasion that meant cutting the day short and spending the afternoon and night at a campground with electric service. These delays became a relaxing break — and a chance to meet new people and see places like western Oklahoma and Terrace Bay, Ont., where I hadn't planned to stop.

Other times, it meant wandering the cultural void of busy roadways near car dealerships, searching for moderate-speed chargers and feeling envious of motorists going about their business with no concern for how they will refuel.

Being self-employed and able to work remotely meant I didn't have a strict schedule for my trip, but it made me think that most people can't afford to add a day to their journey just to refuel.

With daily reminders that public charging stations often fail, I was reluctant to venture away from my planned route. I had hoped my return trip could stop at national and provincial parks well off the Trans-Canada, but I didn't have the nerve to risk it. So I stuck to the major cities with multiple options — and crossed my fingers in between.

Besides, the delays caused by out-of-service chargers were going to eat away all of my extra travel days.

I love my EV — the driving experience is so much fun and the features are great — and I am happy to do the work to plan my trips. But it has also fundamentally changed my perception of car ownership.

I used to relish the freedom to pick up, grab some gear and head wherever my heart desired. Now, I feel like the car is in charge and I can only go where charging stations allow it. Taking a road trip now is a research project before any bags are packed, and then many prayers along the way.

For my next great adventure, I will strongly consider catching a fossil-fuelled ride with a friend. "

being safe with a EV require having a generator and fuel for same in back seat;lol

I will stick with my plug in hybrid. 51 miles EV range 530 miles gas range.

I will stick with my plug in hybrid. 51 miles EV range 530 miles gas range.

Just like I never dreamed of going off grid when I installed solar on my house (becuase options are always good), I don't think I could ever go fully electric car. I get range enxiety from my gas vehicle - LOL. I like to fill up with at least 1/4 tank left.

This vehicle may last me the rest of my life, but if it doesn't, I'll probalby look into a hybrid. But, since I buy used vehicles, I may stick with gas. Who knows, they might get a more attractive option in 10 years or so.

Great story. These charging issues will surely moderate.
Makes me appreciate our old Prius hybrid at 53 mpg!
My wife is seriously looking at used Tesla's for a strictly commuter car (I should not have taken a ride in one!).
30 miles each direction would easily fit range wise.
And she gets a car to park in the front row at work;lol

America's charging network needs lots of improvement. Europe is way ahead of us there. Tesla has established a good working model. Ford and Chevy have adopted it. It will come along with better battery tech.

OTOH, slowing down a bit is not necessarily bad. We have been enticed with instant gratification. The destination is more important than the trip itself. I have friends that bought a Bolt last year. Last fall they went on a trip from WA down to Calif and back. I thought they were nuts, but they explained that they knew the trip would take longer and planned their route with intentional stops to visit roadside attractions along the way. They're retired and were not in a hurry and had a good time on the adventure. This is not dissimilar to that of early auto and motorcycle enthusiasts that had to anticipate lots of delays due to tire changes, lack of gas, poor roads, etc.

Reactions: bogieb
This is not a story Tesla owners share very often. And a think not a story that any owner will be telling in two years.

But on the positive side you as an early adopter made it! I’m impressed. Sure it’s not the freedom of the open taking turns as you feel road but I’m not sure that really exists like it used to. We are now planning next summer’s vacation getting reservations camping and hotels as soon as systems allow.

It’s not like 25 years ago we only ever made reservations for Friday and Saturday nights and then only a week in advance.

Chargers will be built in great numbers. Wouldn’t surprise me a fast DC charger at Car Henge in the future.

back in my day -reservation? didn't exist. Course the Trans Canadian Hy-way was pretty much a dream also.

they will pull the steering wheel on my gas powered car from my cold dead hands,or when there's no more gas stations ;lol ;lol ;lol

still waiting on transporter technology, we have the communicators

well dis-assembling you is easy, re-cumbobulating you to your present state is the glitch. In that respect vehicles now days are about the same

Reactions: joop
There's another dirty little secret with modern cars, and potentially worse with EVs. It's one that is not often talked about. Modern cars are collecting a lot of personal information about your driving habits, locations you visit, calls you make, etc. This data is owned by the car company and you have no say over what they do with it. Tesla and Hyundai/Kia are reported to be the worst in this case and BMW among the better companies. Some insurance companies are also collecting this data if you opt into their tracking plan for a reduced rate.

I’ll stick to my f150 that has no fancy options that can track me. I won’t ever buy a new vehicle. Too much to go wrong and the computers inside of them are too interconnected where a corroded connector in an unrelated system can take out multiple others.

And no adding on to that with the tracking aspect and the absurd prices that they are commanding, absolutely no way no how.

Reactions: sloeffle
Personally, I like modern vehicles. The ones I have owned are exceptionally reliable and lower maintenance. I like driving an EV, but my truck (now a van) is also a good car. I don't like the data collection, but these are the times we live in.

Ever use a search engine? If you are on the internet, you are being tracked, but at least that data is starting to be regulated, though more in Europe than the US.

Don’t even have to use a search engine. That little phone in your pocket tracks and listens to everything you do or say. I get emails about things I’ve mentioned in conversations and have never searched for before.

Reactions: begreen
Any car or truck with an airbag has a crash data recorder. The older systems has far less memory and stored fewer parameters but as memory got cheap the amount of data collected increased. Most car now have built in cell phones that communicate with the factory and most firms are making a buck of it.

2023 rental car- what a huge pia for me . auto braking -took a bit to figure why i could not set the cruise correctly it was picking up the cars 1/2mile ahead of and applying the breaks on the freeway. then it fought me to change lanes
nary a car around except for the few on the on ramp which why i was moving over- yep tied into the turn signal which I did not activate. auto dim on headlights when going up a hill- well i live out in the sticks as such hi beams are almost always on to at least try to get a reflection out of Bamby's eyes before it decides to cross road. In town it's ok I guess. Dang computer yelping about one thing or another- annoying. auto engagement of 4 wheel drive when it feels like it. can't turn it on fulltime nor shut it down. pia. driven everything from 2 wheelers to 18 wheelers in my time. lately I am starting to think that certain religious groups around my area are smarter. Not that hay burners are perfect either ( got my time behind or on them also)

It's calculated that the data extracted from our driving and car habits is worth billions. And you don't get a cent.
Some of these data collection agreements are eyepopping. Take Nissan's which says the company can share "sensitive personal information, including driver's license number, national or state identification number, citizenship status, immigration status, race, national origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, sexual activity, precise geolocation, health diagnosis data, and genetic information." :oops:<>

• Sad
It’s absolutely disgusting that there aren’t any real protections for us against such blatant invasions of personal privacy.

There are services that install license plate scanners on most major highways. They scan license plate numbers and correlate then to publicly available license plate lists and sell that information to whomever wants to pay for it. Realistically anyone who uses a cell phone ap is probably selling data to the highest bidder. I do not use or am a member of facebook but no doubt they have a detailed file on me.

I live in NH where the early presidential primary is big business. I usually a get post card in the mail every election cycle listing how many times I have voted in the last few elections as voting attendance and party affiliation is public record.

There have been a few books on how to live "off the grid" from the big data but the reality is in order to do it, someone will need to give up a lot of modern conveniences.

There are services that install license plate scanners on most major highways. They scan license plate numbers and correlate then to publicly available license plate lists and sell that information to whomever wants to pay for it. Realistically anyone who uses a cell phone ap is probably selling data to the highest bidder. I do not use or am a member of facebook but no doubt they have a detailed file on me.

I live in NH where the early presidential primary is big business. I usually a get post card in the mail every election cycle listing how many times I have voted in the last few elections as voting attendance and party affiliation is public record.

There have been a few books on how to live "off the grid" from the big data but the reality is in order to do it, someone will need to give up a lot of modern conveniences.
Hu, I live in NH too, and have never gotten that type of stuff. I do tend to get flyers from the party that I last voted for (as an independent, I have to declare a party before I can vote in primaries, then I un-declare afterwards). But that is the only evidence of data mining.