Creosote build up question for 28-4000 and PSC Caddy furnace owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I would like to hear from Englander 28-4000 owners and pre 2020 PSG Caddy owners abut creosote build up in the flu. I cleaned out my Ashley AF700 heat exchanger and checked the chimney lots of fluffy black build up a lot more than I get on my inserts. Not sure if normal? Contemplating changing to a used 28-4000 or mini caddy if I can find one. I will post pics later of the chimney. I already cleaned the heat exchanger I would say at least a pint came out of that. I am wondering if its due to the design of the fan blowing air across the heat exchanger cooling exhaust temps? My wood is very dry most of what I tested last year was 14% to 17%. Same wood in inserts get a white powdery fly ash in them.

Last edited:
On my pre 2020 Caddy I'd get some creosote on the top door itself and in the corners of the HX but not much in the HX tubes themselves. I'd also get some creosote on the single wall pipe that went into the double wall pipe. No creosote on the double wall, just fine ash. I cleaned my HX on my Caddy on a weekly basis because it was easy, and it would help with exchanging the heat between the stove and the air passing through it. I'd shoot for exhaust temps between 325 - 400 during a burn. Higher exhaust temps when I wanted to heat the house up faster or during a cold snap.

Personally, I'd pass on the 28-4000 based off of some comments on this site. The Caddy is a really well built and designed furnace, and sips the wood. My Caddy is for sale if you are interested. :)

My experience with my Max Caddy is about the same as @sloeffle . VERY little creosote in the spots he mentioned. HX, single wall and double wall is fine fly ash only that comes off like powder with light agitation. It burns so clean in fact that at the end of last season, I stopped hiring a CS. I bought a set of rods and a brush and did it myself.