Q&A Creosote buildup

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    QandA
    Expand Collapse
    New Member
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2012
    Messages:
    0
    Likes Received:
    6
    Question:

    I have two questions regarding creosote buildup in a flue.
    1) Is it the loose soot type material which falls when i brush out the flue or is it the shiny build-up on the walls of the flue that cause a chimney fire?
    2) If I had a professional clean the flue would he remove the shiny buildup?



    Answer:

    1. It is the sticky stuff that you cannot get off (class 3 creosote) that causes the worse fires.
    2. In most cases, they cannot get it all off unless you pay them a couple hundred to use the industrial solvents. Use of certain chimney cleaning compounds sprayed on the wood or into the fire can help remove this over time.
     

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page