Creosote content in wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
I have been burning alot of popple in the last month because I have about 100 acres of it . It seems to give off less creosote when burned than oak or maple. Is there a listing of wood based on creosote content? I don't mind burning popple, it does burn a little faster but it has less smoke, less ash, and a lighter less acrid smell.

I skidded about 5 cord of birch, maple, and popple up to a landing yesterday in about 6 hrs. The Farmi winch on my tractor sure makes it easy.

djblech
Greenwood 100
Stihl 170 and 360
Kioti dk45 with winch and dump trailor

No wood contains creosote. Any wood can make creosote if it is burned under less than optimum conditions.

All wood burns best when it's dry. Burn what you got.

Lot of people on this forum burn softwoods very cleanly. I burn whatever my Farmi pulls out. If I want it thinned out of my woodlot, I burn it; everything from oak, maple and beech to poplar and hemlock and pine.
I burn it after drying it stacked and covered for 2 years.

Hard not to love a Farmi, isn't it?

Popple has about 1/2 the heat value by volume as compared to red oak; about the same heat value per dry pound. I burn popple almost exclusively in our house wood stove, some popple and mostly pine in the Tarm. No creosote of any significance in either case, as my wood is dry. I brush the chimneys once per year.

I mostly burned 3yr dry maple and birch when it was cold this past winter. With my Greenwood, when my chimney was to low, not enough draft, my flue temps where so low that I developed alot of creosote. Since I added 3' to my chimney and removed the bar damper my flue temps are back up and no creosote and very little fine white ashes . The bar damper was completely covered, it formed right at the damper. Cool air coming into the chimney had to cause that. I think that not enough O2 must also cause creosote. When idling I notice more than normal.

djblech
Greenwood 100
Stihl 170 and 360
Kioti dk45 with winch and dump trailor

Status
Not open for further replies.