Creosote formation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 27, 2022
Ault,CO
My buddy and I are having a little discussion about when creosote does and does not form in your chimney. I was always under the impression that creosote forms while wood is burning during the combustion process but more so at the beginning, towards the end of the fire when it's burned down to coals and hardly any flame the creosote is pretty much nonexistent. Therefore if you're flue temps are low (200's) there's no need to worry about creosote at that point. He on the other hand is saying that creosote forms at any point during the fire, even at the end. What is everyone's thought or is there already a thread with this same discussion somewhere?

Early and late
Any time there isn’t enough heat/draft to get moisture out the chimney before it condenses, which is highly dependent on wood m/c and conditions (pipe, double/single wall/classA/attic chimney/exterior wall chimney…

What about at this stage? A nice hot bed of coals. I would assume no creosote should be forming at this point.
20231129_194452.jpg

Clean your glass off and shut the door and see if you get more blackening at that point or when it’s ripping at 700 degrees.

Im under the impression that it forms the most towards the top of the stack. As it cools, it forms. In my mind, anytime wood is burning, its making creosote. I am probably wrong, but thats how I look at it.