creosote, have you heard this one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sledhead41

Hearth Supporter
Sep 16, 2007
Circle Pines, Minnesota
I had a guy tell me that his dad would put a piece of sheetrock in the stove to dry up the creosote. Personaly I use a creosote burning log but 15 bucks is 15 bucks. Has anyone ever heard this.

Maybe... but I think I'd have more faith in potato peels.

Sweet potato or Salt potato?

I've found a chimney brush works fairly well. Depending on how often you put one of those creosote logs though the stove it would pay for itself quickly.

Matt

Last year, befor the Lopi Libery I noticed the chimney was getting a little black. I took a look and sure enough black goo. I burned a creosote log and within 2 weeks the goo was hard and flakey enough to sweep.

I'll stick to burning dry wood and cleaning the chimney once in a while.

It seems to me that when people always try to get around things like this, they are usually the ones having problems...until they finally understand the right way to burn wood.

Creosote problems have been around since wood burning and it has been proven that it is still better to prevent as much as possible by burning good wood rather than try to depend on putting other things into the fire. Wire brushes were invented a few years ago too and they work wonders on chimneys.

I know this flies in the face of conventional Eastern folklore, but I burn dry pine in my stove to keep my chimney clear.

'creosote burning log' - what is that? Can't you just use a few scoops of the powder? A whole tub of that does not even cost $15.

PS - I swept both chimneys this past week while i was off. Have not used any creo 'burning' medicine in a while. It was a bit fun with the snow on the roof and all...

Backwoods Savage said:
I'll stick to burning dry wood and cleaning the chimney once in a while.

It seems to me that when people always try to get around things like this, they are usually the ones having problems...until they finally understand the right way to burn wood.

Creosote problems have been around since wood burning and it has been proven that it is still better to prevent as much as possible by burning good wood rather than try to depend on putting other things into the fire. Wire brushes were invented a few years ago too and they work wonders on chimneys.

Well I tried to catch a magic leprechaun since I heard they could keep a chimney free of creosote, but that didn't work out so well . . . all I did was end up with a pot of gold.

I then tried to run a few wild ferrets up the chimney to clean it out, but that didn't work out so well . . . all that happened was my cats chased the ferrets and I had to take apart the chimney to get my cats out of the stove pipe.

And so I guess I'll do the same as Dennis . . . burn well seasoned wood, burn at the proper temps (i.e. hot enough) and check and clean the chimney when needed (which in my anal retentive world means doing this every month.)

Burning drywall will yield virtually nothing.

Drywall (conventional) is made from the mineral Gypsum. This is basically a non-flammable rock. There are two additions to drywall. The paper and the adhesive that stick the paper to the gypsum. There is no component that I am aware of that would aid in the reduction of creosote.

Drywall (synthetic) is made from coal power plant waste (or coke). As you can imagine, after the coal is burned, the remaining slag/coke has virtually no carbon left to burn. The coke is made into a slurry and then formed and the same adhesive and paper that is used for conventional drywall is applied. Again - nothing that I am aware of that would reduce creosote.

Its an Old Wives Tale.

Soak a split in urine for an hour. The salts are just right- it won't clean the chimney, but will turn any goopy creosote into something that's easy to sweep.

(bound to catch a fish eventually, Jags)

Adios Pantalones said:
(bound to catch a fish eventually, Jags)

You will be my online hero if you get this accomplished. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.