Creosote logs or "toss-in" products....worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
I'm not looking for a replacement for cleaning the chimney; I know there is no replacement for proper maintenance. All I'm looking for is something to help control the creosote buildup or to keep it from sticking since I'm exclusively burning less-than-ideal slab-wood. Do any of these products actually work or are they snake-oil? I've read about ammonia being a primary ingredient in some of them and an effective creosote remover in itself, but only after sitting in the chimney for the entire off-season. This is why I'm questioning their effectiveness. Thanks very much for your input!

Stuff like Anti-Creo-Sote work. Used correctly they keep the creosote in a a dry powder form instead of it glazing in the flue. Still has to be brushed out. Used to buy it by the case before my EPA stoves and dry wood.

U cant get around brushing...its a dirty job...but someone has to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.