Creosote running out of pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roy30

Feb 1, 2022
Mt. Vernon ky
Alright I have a question, I had a metal roof put on my trailer this year bought this place 3 years ago always burnt wood but this year I got creosote running down the insulated pipe going threw the roof, what could be the cause of this?

16436932181393606207256555524682.jpg

Your cap needs a scrubbin, you chimney needs cleaning, you also need to try to find drier wood, let this be a learning lesson to be prepared better for the next season

Reactions: woodey
Is that connection from stove pipe to chimney pipe a-okay?
Maybe it's the pic, but it looks crooked to me. Is it properly (safely) connected?

(I can't help with the "how to scrub" - I second the notion that getting wood drier before burning will prevent having to scrub. Just for clarity: I like a clean (everything), but I hate scrubbing. So ...)

Yuck. That is a mess and a dangerous warning sign. When the metal roof was put on, did they put the storm collar back on and silicone it?

How is that chimney pipe supported?

Are you positive that isn't blackjack or similar roofing tar? If it is dripping that much creosote down the outside of the pipe it would have to be way worse on the outside of the trailer. Goobers of creosote would have to be dripping out the top and then coming down the pipe, then past a leaking boot/seal on the flashing.

I wonder if bug and tar cleaner for cars will work.

Show us a picture of the chimney including the roof penetration.

If you're going to burn less than properly seasoned wood burn hot,wide open throttle WOT. As far as cleaning it off, I suppose if you wait for a break in the weather and the stove goes cold you could try gasoline, but vent well. Keep us posted and good luck.

@Roy30 this is a dangerous situation. We still need to see what the setup looks like on the roof. If you can post a picture of the chimney, chimney cap, and flashing we may be able to spot the source, especially if the roofer sealed the storm collar with roofing tar.