creosote sweeping log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just use the burntime sweeping guy! Seriously though, if you burn seasoned wood hot it is not an issue...

I was wondering the same thing. Obviously there is no substitute for a chimney sweeping, but I wondered if anyone has used them and noticed any difference vs when they didn't use them?

I know they used to be called the chimney sweeping log and got sued and now go by creosote sweeping log. I think that kinda speaks for itself. It probably works some but the package even says its no substitute for a cleaning...

Waste of money in my opinion. Tried a couple for the heck of it, did not have any results

Those logs are being heavily advertised on tv here... But I agree with the rest: burn correctly and save your money for a real chimney sweep who you know for certain is getting your chimney clean!

A wire brush costs the same as a CSL, is more effective, and can be used dozens of times. (OK you have to buy rods too, but...)

You should not need this as a regular maintanence item if you burn good wood and burn properly. But if you have a glazed creosote issue that needs to be treated, go to your local hearth retailer and buy some Anti Creosote Spray and ask the hearth proffesional how to use it. The spray works.

Works if you have the hard and shiny glazed creosote and need to turn it into brush-able creosote . . . in my own opinion . . . you are better off simply burning well seasoned wood and checking and cleaning your chimney on a regular basis with a brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.