Creosote Trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain

Jul 13, 2008
Central Ohio
Well guys, I finally got my stove all hooked up, chimney ran, and have been burning fires. First, I installed the chimney exactly as the manual said to (used supervent), and it goes straight through the roof. My stove is a buck 27000.

The trouble I'm having is that the creosote seems to be condensing on the rain cap, then dripping down onto the storm collar, then all down the roof. My wood that I'm using has mostly been cherry, has been laying for almost 4 years, and seems to be a little bit wet. I've only been burning fires in it for about 4 nights. What could be the causes of this?

Thanks

has the cherry been split for years?? or was it log lenngth?

No it's been split for about 3 weeks and before that it was laying in the woods

thats your problem, wood is still wet. Wood never really seasons properly till its split. Give it six months at least to season after splitting, also you may not be running yopur stove hot enough but that is also a caused by unseasoned wood.

Ok thanks. Would taking the rain cap off help anything? It seems to be dripping off of it

I have the same situation with my buck. I inquired about it last winter and was assured that some creosote formation at the top of the chimney was not a big deal. Remember, the Buck likes it hot :coolgrin: .

Taking off the rain cap will stop it from condensing there, but not all over the inside of the pipe. If you can't avoid burning this wet wood, you'll need to sweep often.

A need of seasoned wood come to mind ;-)

Also, I've noticed that cherry seems to rot and absorb moisture more quickly than other types when it's in direct contact with the ground

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to go get a load of seasoned wood while this dries. I just don't like the idea of how it hits the cap and goes back on the roof. I think a better design would stop that. I'd rather have it run back down the inside of the pipe and get burnt up. But for now, the cap is coming off. We'll see how that goes.

Wood laying on the ground can actually be wetter than a fresh cut live tree. It is a sponge for the moisture in the ground. It is going to be a long time before that stuff is ready to burn. I posted a pic last year of a 75 foot big red oak that had been on the ground since Sept. 2004. The pic showed water FLOWING from the tree after I cut it. If flowed for two days. The wood will burn later this winter.

BB - Who has been cutting tornado downfall for the last four years.

PS: Found the pic.

Attachments

• red oak water one.JPG
    red oak water one.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 553
Captain said:
Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to go get a load of seasoned wood while this dries. I just don't like the idea of how it hits the cap and goes back on the roof. I think a better design would stop that. I'd rather have it run back down the inside of the pipe and get burnt up. But for now, the cap is coming off. We'll see how that goes.

Chimney caps are not designed for creosote direction, they are for spark arresting and protect the inside of your chimey/pipe form precipitation.

Your argument is akin to complaining that sunglasses do not work well at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.