Creosote with old stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eightball1313

Sep 24, 2019
Poconos, Pa
Hey guys,

I have a very small amount, very thin layer, of third degree creosote in my teracotta lined chimney. Only small patches here and there, the rest of the clay liner is showing so i have the chimney cleaned very well other than these small patches. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way i could get rid of these small patches of third degree creosote? Was going to try burning some creosote sweeping logs and some other rutland chimney sweep materials to maybe loosen it up so i can sweep it out but figured id check in here first for some feedback.

i use a csl log at the end of the year it works well but will take a few weeks to dry whats in the chimney. i use the log for the very last fire and sweep just before i start burning again and it works well. one year tried to brush the chimney without using the log and nothing came off. it dries the creosote so brush can work otherwise shiny creosote stays put

my opinion. touchy subject here

Use the logs maybe a couple times a wk for a few wks it should loosen it up some of you aren’t burning full time yet! You should be ok for the season but keep an eye on it. Also my personal opinion.

if you have a lot of buildup and you use a log not clean the loose stuff out and have a real hot fire there is the chance you could touch off the creosote in the chimney. i did it early in my burning career!!!