Criss cross method for a whole stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My property is so wooded that I don't have a spot that gets full sunshine all day. Right now I have several stacks that are getting decent sun but only because it is winter and the leaves have fallen. These are 'normal' stacks with all the splits nestled together in succesive rows. I have some freshly split oak that I'd like to stack looser to aid in getting it seasoned for next year. Between the Virginia humidity and less-than-desired sun I figure this oak could use the extra airflow afforded by full criss cross stacking. But I've only seen thisused for ends of stacks. Has anybody done a full stack using the criss cross method?

Do people use the criss cross end stack to support the wood stack. I've seen it driving past but never up close.
I been thinking about a better stacking method too.

Might want to try reading about the Hoz Hausen stacking method. Holds lots of wood in a small area. Over 3 cords in those 6 foot circles in the avatar to the right.n OOOps I meant to the left. Too much beer already.

That a cool stacking could not find anything on thwe Hoz Hausen stacking method.

johnsopi said:
That a cool stacking could not find anything on thwe Hoz Hausen stacking method.

Try holz hausen or holz haufen

wahoowad- I have one pile that I did alternate stacking on. It can get alittle tricky, as you have to pay attention to the split size. It's pretty solid and allows plenty of air to circulate. I took some stuff that I split last June and threw it in tonight. Went up like a matchstick!!! :)

I'll try to take some pictures of the stack after it finishes raining tomorrow.

IMHO, most of the moisture works out the ends of the wood. Even if you have a green piece of wood in the stove the foam and hissing comes out the ends, not so much from the middle of the wood. So the difference between a loosely stacked pile with all ends pointing the same way and a criss cross stack is probably not worth the effort to make all those criss crosses. I would also suspect that having the prevailing wind hit the pile face on would be much more important than the stacking.

Our climates may be different, but last season, i had a pile of hedge cut to about 20" lengths, but not split - just the whole logs. It spent a summer in a loosely dumped pile under the shade of an old maple tree and it was still down in the 20% moisture range by the burning season.

Corey

Corey, I think the humidity difference in our locations makes a pretty big difference in drying time. Most times in the summer, the humidity levels float in the 45-60% range. And we can get spells here where it get's wicked humid for quite awhile.

If there's less humidity in the air, the wood should transfer that water quicker. At least that's my thinking.

I believe the best wood stacking advice is to try your best to provide the best drying position you can. Be it a HH, criss cross, tons of sun, breezy location, etc. Sometimes you have to compromise. It may just take your wood alittle longer to dry, meaning you just have to plan further ahead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.