Cross link conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoalCar

Jun 4, 2015
Central PA
First off I'd like to say "Hello" from central PA. This is my first time posting on this forum and I would like to introduce myself. I've been burning coal and wood for the last 8 yrs and I recently purchased a used Harman Magnum Coal Stove.

I was wondering if anybody has used, seen, or heard of the cross link conversion for these stoves? Are they worth the time to invest in? Seem like it would work. What's it like to install? Or should I just leave it stove and go from there?!

I have a 2 story house with a basement that where the furnace will be. It's an old coal mining house so it's not insulated the greatest but I think I have all the nasty drafts covered. Any info and feedback will be great. Thanks

Welcome. By crosslink conversion do you mean converting it to pellet use?

In the pellet room here or somewhere else there is a guy with crosslink conversion on a Harman pellet stove. It's just a very very expensive water heating coil inside the stove. I've never seen one in a wood or coal stove. There is one other manufacturer of the stainless steel water loops but that guy doesn't include all of the mixing valves and plumbing it is more universal. Are you trying to heat water for domestic or for heating? For heating I would suggest a proper coal stove in a normal sized house would be sufficient and less "hokey".

In the pellet room here or somewhere else there is a guy with crosslink conversion on a Harman pellet stove. It's just a very very expensive water heating coil inside the stove. I've never seen one in a wood or coal stove. There is one other manufacturer of the stainless steel water loops but that guy doesn't include all of the mixing valves and plumbing it is more universal. Are you trying to heat water for domestic or for heating? For heating I would suggest a proper coal stove in a normal sized house would be sufficient and less "hokey".
I was going to use it for heating. And what do you mean by proper coal stove?

Those harmans are very good coal stoves but i really doubt that it would heat enough water fast enough to contribute much heat to your system. But i have never seen one installed so i am not sure

And what do you mean by proper coal stove?

Not knowing much about coal stoves other than there are good ones and bad ones, when I imagine heating a home with one I have to assume som level of properness. Proper = good.

I wish we had coal up here. I live near a town called Black Diamond because it is a coal town but supposedly there are different types of coal and ours is not appropriate (proper) for home heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.