Cruising and Max Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
My manual says the stove operates best between 250 & 450 degrees Fahrenheit. I would say that is about right once you get the stove dialed in and cruising along it will settle into that temperature range for the longest burn time in it's cycle.

My question is about how hot I can run my stove on the max end. I'm getting better and building bigger fires. The laser temp reader thing maxes out at 630 and I'm starting to see OH when measuring my stovetop at it's max temps.

The manual also says to burn it at 700 to cure the paint so does that mean it's OK to burn my stove at 700? I'm going to get another more accurate thermometer to really know what's going on...how hot can I get it before it's termed an 'overfire'?

Something doesn't sound right here. I've never heard of a stove manufacturer recommending their stove be run at 250F to 450F and then say run it at 700F to cure the paint. I looked at your manual and it doesn't say the stove operates best between 250F and 450F, rather is says for the first two break-in fires keep the temperature around 250F to slowly remove the moisture from the firebricks. Then burn between 500F and 700F to cure the paint. If the manufacturer says you can burn as high as 700F then it should be okay to burn at that temperature. However, I'd recommend starting out with lower temperatures until you learn the burn characteristics of the stove. You may well find that the stove likes to cruise at a lower temperature and that you get enough heat at that level to keep your house warm. Even if you decide you need to have a higher stove temperature to keep your place comfortable you still want to learn how your stove burns before you set your mind on getting 700F temperatures with every fire. I say this because most any stove can be over fired and one way this occurs is when you do something with your stove that you don't understand how the stove will react. For example, filling the stove full with small splits and running the air wide open too long. You might see the stove hit 700F on the way up to 1000F! You don't want to find yourself in that situation, so a go slow approach is usually best, in my opinion.

Something doesn't sound right here. I've never heard of a stove manufacturer recommending their stove be run at 250F to 450F and then say run it at 700F to cure the paint. I looked at your manual and it doesn't say the stove operates best between 250F and 450F, rather is says for the first two break-in fires keep the temperature around 250F to slowly remove the moisture from the firebricks. Then burn between 500F and 700F to cure the paint. If the manufacturer says you can burn as high as 700F then it should be okay to burn at that temperature. However, I'd recommend starting out with lower temperatures until you learn the burn characteristics of the stove. You may well find that the stove likes to cruise at a lower temperature and that you get enough heat at that level to keep your house warm. Even if you decide you need to have a higher stove temperature to keep your place comfortable you still want to learn how your stove burns before you set your mind on getting 700F temperatures with every fire. I say this because most any stove can be over fired and one way this occurs is when you do something with your stove that you don't understand how the stove will react. For example, filling the stove full with small splits and running the air wide open too long. You might see the stove hit 700F on the way up to 1000F! You don't want to find yourself in that situation, so a go slow approach is usually best, in my opinion.

It does say that on Page 5 under "Starting A Fire".

I really don't know what the "danger zone" is. I think 700 is pretty hot. I'd love to see it run there LOL but don't see that happening for any amount of time. On the other hand....I can see a really hot fire taking the temp above that. When will my stove melt?

Are those temps flue temps or stove top temps? Most steel stove cruise around 450-650 with an occasional startup spike in the 700F+ range possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.