CSST grounding requirements?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
I'll be installing a ventless gas heater. It's about 10 feet away from a former 3/4" stove connection. The connection needs to go through an area of the ceiling that is inaccessible, and would be very difficult to run black pipe. I plan to use CSST. I'm trying to figure out the electrical bonding requirements. This gas connection would be at the far end of the house from the gas meter, but close(ish) to the main grounding rod. If I understand correctly, it's acceptable to run a 6 AWG copper ground from the CSST fitting to the main electrical ground. Do I also need to bond the end of the iron pipe run to the CSST fitting? I don't think the gas meter or anything is directly bonded to the grounding rod or the water pipes (also inaccessible until they enter the basement). Anything else I'm missing?

Not sure which type of CSST you're using, but the TracPipe info is in here.

http://www.citizensenergygroup.com/hvac/TracPipeBonding.pdf

You DO realize that you need to be manufacturer certified to even BUY CSST, don't you?
Will be using pro-flex. Yes, certification involves reading the instructions and then telling them that you read it. I think that just the bonding of the upstream CSST/black pipe joint to the main panel or rod is sufficient. Looks like black pipe should be grounded anyway (it doesn't appear to be in my house), but running the wire from the joint to the main ground will accomplish both.

Status
Not open for further replies.