1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

CT State Land Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by lostDuck, Nov 4, 2013.

1. lostDuck

lostDuck New Member

Loc:
    Windsor, CT

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BillLion

BillLion Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Pretty cool; I didn't know about this.

Not for me because I don't have the equipment, time or know-how to fell and clear the trees. Not to mention there are too many opportunities to get free wood around here! That said, I'm sure this is a great deal for the right people.
  3. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I tried for several years to get a permit, finally got one in 2011. IMHO it wasn't worth the effort. The trees that they marked out were mostly beach and ash with only a few oaks. Most were only 8-12". They only let you cut at the end of the season and I found that with all the handling it was more trouble than it was worth. I do at least as well watching Craigs List.
  4. lostDuck

lostDuck New Member

Loc:
    Windsor, CT
    Good input... I figured as much. Never expect the state of CT to do us a favor.
    gregbesia and Beer Belly like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    In MI, they only let you cut stuff that is already down. For sure that next to the trails get picked up fast. Can't haul any out even with atv.

But $30 for a cord and you still have to put it up sounds like an expensive proposition.
    BillLion likes this.
  6. fullofbaloney

fullofbaloney New Member

Loc:
    CT
    I cut in Meshomasic a few years ago after the state had logged a section. They dragged the tops next to the road and I cut and loaded 3 or 4 cords - very easy. Each section is assigned so in theory, no one else should be taking your wood. My recollection was that it was free.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. mustash29

mustash29 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    I first moved up here in late 95. There was a guy I worked with who did this several years in a row. He and his neighbor both put in for it and in the event one of them did not win they split the takings. Granted this was a while ago, there were probably fewer applicants, and the quotas were different but the price rings a bell. I remember him saying they routinely got 6.5 - 7.5 cord per year out of the deal when they were supposedly 5 cord lots. He lived just off 395 @ exit 86 and was litterally cutting < 5 minutes away from his house. He used to invite guys from work over to help and then throw a huge cookout party.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Hey, welcome to the forum fullofbaloney. With a name like that, you'll fit right in.