cubex / Okanagons creasol?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodknack

Hearth Supporter
Jul 21, 2010
central Maine - Farmingdale
I can get both these pellets (cubex-hardwood and okanagon-softwood). My question is this. Would the softwood pellets create more creasol then the hardwood pellets? I used mostly "clean energy" pellets from lowes last year. They burned ok, but I want to try a better pellet. When I did my cleaning of the stove pipe there really wasn't any creasol. Just sooty.I think the clean energy pellet were hardwood. I can get the cubex a little cheaper then the okanagons. Id like to try both but I have this funny feeling about softwood creating creasol in my stove and stove pipe. Id like to here from people that have burned both these pellets not just one of them. And tell me your experience with both these pellets?

Those are both great pellets. If you did not have an issue with the clean energy pellets you should not have an issue with Okies Softwood.

I have burned Okies(softwood), Barefoot (quality hardwood like cubex), LG Granules (Softwood), Energex (Hardwood), and Michigans (BARK).
Non have produces creosote in pellets stove or venting, just ash and fly ash.

Only time I have heard of creosote issues in pellet stove is if your fuel / air ratio is out of wack, which depending on type of stove you may need to adjust when switching from hard to soft wood.

Just my 2 cents.

mascoma said:
I have burned Okies(softwood), Barefoot (quality hardwood like cubex), LG Granules (Softwood), Energex (Hardwood), and Michigans (BARK).

Only time I have heard of creosote issues in pellet stove is if your fuel / air ratio is out of wack, which depending on type of stove you may need to adjust when switching from hard to soft wood.

Just my 2 cents.

Which did you like better the ok's or the barefoot?

Do you mean creosote like in the chimnely fluke when burning wood with the dampner closed, or creasol as in :
Creosol Cre"o*sol (kr?"?-s?l), n. [Cresote + phenol.] (Chem.)
A colorless liquid resembling phenol or carbolic acid,
homologous with pyrocatechin, and obtained from beechwood tar
and gum guaiacum

woodknack said:
mascoma said:

Just my 2 cents.

Which did you like better the ok's or the barefoot?

They both burn with very little ash.
Beyond that I can not say because I did not have a chance to burn the okies in very cold weather, just spring temps.

Given both brands (okies and cubex) seem to be top notch, I would buy the cheaper one.

woodknack said:
I can get both these pellets (cubex-hardwood and okanagon-softwood). My question is this. Would the softwood pellets create more creasol then the hardwood pellets? I used mostly "clean energy" pellets from lowes last year. They burned ok, but I want to try a better pellet. When I did my cleaning of the stove pipe there really wasn't any creasol. Just sooty.I think the clean energy pellet were hardwood. I can get the cubex a little cheaper then the okanagons. Id like to try both but I have this funny feeling about softwood creating creasol in my stove and stove pipe. Id like to here from people that have burned both these pellets not just one of them. And tell me your experience with both these pellets?
how much are you paying for the okies and cubies up in maine

smilejamaica said:
woodknack said:

Cubex is $270 a ton and Ok's are the same $270. I can get spruce point for 250 a ton.
They are getting $300 a ton for Green team at HD! And I saw TSC has Athens for $204 a ton. which are junk.

woodknack said:
smilejamaica said:
woodknack said:

Cubex is $270 a ton and Ok's are the same $270. I can get spruce point for 250 a ton.
They are getting $300 a ton for Green team at HD! And I saw TSC has Athens for $204 a ton. which are junk.

Which iteration of Athens? Yes, it does make a difference.

ETA: It is very difficult to form creosote burning wood pellets, for at least the following reasons:

1. Very low moisture content in the pellets well under anything possible in the cord wood line of burning.
2. A pellet fire is always hot, it is never a smoldering mass in the stove, this makes it hard for any combustion gases to condense into liquid (form creosote).

Now if you don't properly maintain your stove then over time the ash buildup or poor gasket conditions can lead to smoldering burns and creosote formation.
It isn't the wood type that determines creosote formation.

SmokeyTheBear said:
woodknack said:
smilejamaica said:
woodknack said:

I believe they are called "maine woods" come in a white bag with the state of maine on the bag in green. I tried some last year. JUNK JUNK JUNK. the worst. Just sat in the pot and glowed! Didn't even burn right! To be honest I would buy a Maine product because I am from here. BUT Maine really does not put out a good pellet in my book. I think they will in due time. Given the economy being the way it is. They better start getting there act together or they will soon be out of a job. Word of BAD pellets travels fast and it would be hard to rebound from that even after they start making better ones.

woodknack said:
....BUT Maine really does not put out a good pellet in my book. I think they will in due time......

The pellets called "Maine Choice" got pretty good reports last winter....have you seen any of them in your area?

woodknack said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
woodknack said:
smilejamaica said:
woodknack said:

I believe they are called "maine woods" come in a white bag with the state of maine on the bag in green. I tried some last year. JUNK JUNK JUNK. the worst. Just sat in the pot and glowed! Didn't even burn right! To be honest I would buy a Maine product because I am from here. BUT Maine really does not put out a good pellet in my book. I think they will in due time. Given the economy being the way it is. They better start getting there act together or they will soon be out of a job. Word of BAD pellets travels fast and it would be hard to rebound from that even after they start making better ones.

Ya want to know something woodnack, I burned 6 tons of Maine Woods from two different different batches the first was three tons from a July 2008 batch and it burned fine just produced a lot of ash and if you let it build up I'd expect it to smother things to the point it might glow. The kicker here is that it took plenty of time for it to get to that point and a simple burn pot scrape worked to keep things burning. I even have a clinker from that batch.

You can go here https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/559673/ to see a picture of it.

The second three tons was from a late January 2009 batch and that batch actually was premium as far as ash content was concerned. I haven't tried the latest stuff which btw is in a white bag with black lettering and with a stove on it.

I understand from the test reports it is close to a super premium pellet.

I also haven't tried any but have heard from a reliable party that the current Maine's Choice is also close to super premium grade on the ash side of things.

I ran out of time late last spring to test a few brands. Currently I have 4 brands on my short list, Oakies, Granules LG, Barefoot, and Cubex. I couldn't get any LGs from the folks I bought from last year and the Oakies and Barefoot were more expensive than the Cubex. So I had to settle for Cubex, the difference in prices will be used to test some Maine Woods and Maine Choice this fall. If either of those allow me to go at least 10 days without having to clean the burn pot then in 2010-2011 I'll go to Maine produced pellets again.

woodknack said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
woodknack said:
smilejamaica said:
woodknack said:

Oh, never mind, I might as well teach my pig to sing. If you can find pellets from Mars for $6000 / oz., buy them, they're the best. BUT, please stop tellin' folks you're "from here" just 'cuz you bought a cottage at Sebago last week. Oh, yeah, that there "creosol" makes the wimmen folk stemmy.

hossthehermit said:
woodknack said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
woodknack said:
smilejamaica said:
woodknack" date="1280175269 said:

Oh, never mind, I might as well teach my pig to sing. If you can find pellets from Mars for $6000 / oz., buy them, they're the best. BUT, please stop tellin' folks you're "from here" just 'cuz you bought a cottage at Sebago last week. Oh, yeah, that there "creosol" makes the wimmen folk stemmy.

Sorry but I am a true Mainer! If you guys like those athens, then by all means use them. I looking for a true super preminum pellet with HIGH heat output. I should have never put the athens in this thread. But I can see talking about pellets with some people can really hit a nerve ! But that was not my intentions.

if price is equal for cubex and okies, mix and match 50/50... you won't be dissappointed with either. If one is less than the other, get the cheaper one. Performance is pretty equal between the 2. As far as price goes, the okies have been more expensive than the cubex this yr (we sell both, as well as barefoots) so we have sold more cubex (260/ton) than okies (285/ton)... it was the reverse last yr when cubex were 300 a ton...

summit said:
if price is equal for cubex and okies, mix and match 50/50... you won't be dissappointed with either. If one is less than the other, get the cheaper one. Performance is pretty equal between the 2. As far as price goes, the okies have been more expensive than the cubex this yr (we sell both, as well as barefoots) so we have sold more cubex (260/ton) than okies (285/ton)... it was the reverse last yr when cubex were 300 a ton...

Thanks.
I just order 5 ton. a mix of okanagan and spruce point. I will get to try those 2 this year anyway. If I get some extra money later on I may buy a ton of cubex to try. I think im starting to turn into a pellet pig. I only burned 3 tons last year. But we had a pretty mild winter here in maine. I just have a feeling we are in for a bad winter this year!

woodknack said:
Thanks.
I just order 5 ton. a mix of okanagan and spruce point. I will get to try those 2 this year anyway. If I get some extra money later on I may buy a ton of cubex to try. I think im starting to turn into a pellet pig. I only burned 3 tons last year. But we had a pretty mild winter here in maine. I just have a feeling we are in for a bad winter this year!

Good choice IMHO. I burned Okies last year (still have some left over) and tried 5 bags Spruce. Very similar between the 2. You got a good price on the Spruce., I dont think you will be dissapointed on those.

I am looking for another ton or two myself. Waiting to see if I can score a decent price (250 or under per ton range)on Okies, Barefoot and/or Cubex that I can mix up.

gbreda said:
woodknack said:
Thanks.

Good choice IMHO. I burned Okies last year (still have some left over) and tried 5 bags Spruce. Very similar between the 2. You got a good price on the Spruce., I dont think you will be dissapointed on those.

I am looking for another ton or two myself. Waiting to see if I can score a decent price (250 or under per ton range)on Okies, Barefoot and/or Cubex that I can mix up.

Ya im excited to try a good quality pellet. I got a good deal last year at lowes by signing up as a contractor. Got 20% off my order and the shipping only cost me $20. So I got 3 tons for $215 a ton. They were an ok pellet. Hmmm now all I need is a big barn to start storing pellets! LOL

woodknack said:
I got a good deal last year at lowes by signing up as a contractor. Got 20% off my order and the shipping only cost me $20. So I got 3 tons for $215 a ton. They were an ok pellet. Hmmm now all I need is a big barn to start storing pellets! LOL

Yeah, I went with 4 tons of Greene Team from Lowes last year. They are OK, but a shoulder month pellet. I still have almost a ton of em left for this year. I'll use them up this fall. The Okies and test burning a few other premium pellets got me thru the coldest months with ease.

If you get that Big Barn goin, just have BTU drop off a trailer load to fill it up real quick-like !!!! :lol:

gbreda said:
woodknack said:
I got a good deal last year at lowes by signing up as a contractor. Got 20% off my order and the shipping only cost me $20. So I got 3 tons for $215 a ton. They were an ok pellet. Hmmm now all I need is a big barn to start storing pellets! LOL

Yeah, I went with 4 tons of Greene Team from Lowes last year. They are OK, but a shoulder month pellet. I still have almost a ton of em left for this year. I'll use them up this fall. The Okies and test burning a few other premium pellets got me thru the coldest months with ease.

Ya I wanted the greene team at lowes but they were not carrying them. The deal I got was on Clean Energy pellets at lowes last year. They burned ok. But LOTS of ash build up!

BTU said:
gbreda said:
woodknack said:

If you get that Big Barn goin, just have BTU drop off a trailer load to fill it up real quick-like !!!! :lol:

No problem....2, 3, 4 truckloads what ever you need..just as long as your Visa can handle it...!!!

Let me check with the boss (my wife).

She is giving me the not impressed look!!! LOL

btw woodknack... we are practically neighbors! I live in West Gardiner (work in Augusta) right down the road from farmingdale... My in-laws live on bowman st in farmingdale.

BTU said:
woodknack said:
BTU said:
gbreda said:
woodknack said:

No problem....2, 3, 4 truckloads what ever you need..just as long as your Visa can handle it...!!!

Let me check with the boss (my wife).

She is giving me the not impressed look!!! LOL

Nothing says "I love you" more than a truckload of pellets showing up in your driveway..... :)

the perfect stocking stuffer for the pellet pig on your list this holiday season: a truckload of okies!

Status
Not open for further replies.