CURBSIDE SCROUNGE-HOLY #$%@

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
This is the most I've ever seen on the curb. Been watching them clear the lot for the past few weeks. Called the company doing the cutting, no answer, no machine for voicemail, etc. On the way past that area today, almost drove off the road! With what I've already taken, and tomorrows trip, I should be well into 2009/2010 supply.

WOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!

Bob

Attachments

• CURBSIDE SCROUNGE-HOLY #$%@
    hugepile1001.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 768
    hugepile2001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 684
NICE! That's a great score!

My RYOBI is gonne be getting a workout!

Your Ryobi is gona break on that load. :roll:

HI Tomato,

That is awesome, I would be jumping up and down all day.

Great for the next season or two.

Carpniels

Oh, thats not all mine- I'm being choosy, only bringing home straight pieces that will fit in the stove. I got a cord today, plan on getting 2 tomorrow, and one monday am. With the three that i have split now, that puts me comfortable. Now I can be choosy. Funny thing is, this is a neighborhood where they dont split/scrounge/stack wood. Fancy pants neighborhood..More for me.

Nice score! I would be out there right now if it were me. I'd hate to come back a day or two later and find it all gone.

Todd,
Yea, I know.. but, that car in the pic is mine.. It caan't handle the big stuff!! I bottomed out coming up my driveway on a load today.. I did cancel everything I had planned for tomorrow.. I will get my share!

You have no idea how jealous I am. I cannot be choosy, I have to take whatever I find.

myzamboni said:
You have no idea how jealous I am. I cannot be choosy, I have to take whatever I find.

You have no idea how jealous I am. I have the downed trees right here on the property but have to cut trails to them, cut and buck them and then haul them out. That stuff on that curb looks like heaven must look. Especially with that 20 foot trailer I have sitting next to the shop. Cut to order and ready to split. A firewood buffet.

It would be gone in a heartbeat.

BrotherBart said:
myzamboni said:

You have no idea how jealous I am. I have the downed trees right here on the property but have to cut trails to them, cut and buck them and then haul them out. That stuff on that curb looks like heaven must look. Especially with that 20 foot trailer I have sitting next to the shop. Cut to order and ready to split. A firewood buffet.

It would be gone in a heartbeat.

BB, you still have me beat. I live in Silicon Valley in suburbia. My lot is 6K sq ft. I have 1 tree in the back yard. Oak is $300-400/cord out here. Every free firewood listing on Craiglist is either gone or picked over when I get to them. My last scrounge was Carob and was so odd-shapen and twisty I resorted to cutting it into chunks that will fit the stove.

With that pile of wood posted, I would gladly split it by hand (as I like the exercise/challenge and that stuff would be the easiest splitting I've had all year).

wow!!!! how do you move all that with your car?

Stevebass-
I take a reasonable load.the seats fold down.and to get this pile in my driveway, I made 4 trips

Attachments

sat pile001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 444
    satpile2001.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 455
That's aweome - have fun!!

Awesome find. It's like $$$$$$ in the bank!

I would have had NO perspective on that if the car wasn't in the picture. That's awesome. I found a score of similar size maybe bigger here in Poughkeepsie, but it's all logs from brush clearing so all full of dirt and rocks (Not good for the chain)

Webwidow.

It is in Cherry hill, about 3 miles from my house.

EVERYTHING HURTS!!!!!

Today's load- just big oak rounds. I'm done. Conservatively thinking, I am at least 2 yrs out. Next year I'm gonna do a lot of fishing.

Most of that pile is gone. I met the owner of the property today. Awesome guy, offered me a beer and a hand loading. Said he's been watching me, and everyone else load. Paid $8800 just for them to cut, drop, remove brush. The tree company didn't even move the rounds to the street.

Attachments

oak001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 248
    oak2001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 267
njtomatoguy said:
Paid $8800 just for them to cut, drop, remove brush. The tree company didn't even move the rounds to the street.

How many trees did they take down???

Wanna go into business? lol...

Forget the splitter getting a workout...the 'silver bullet' is definately 'earning it's keep'....

Running out of room at the old homestead are ya???

Keyman- Yep, that's it. I am out of room. In the backyard, I have a pile(1/2 cord) from last year to split, plus probably a cord of elm I got a few weeks ago, stacked up. I am barely able to get the car in the driveway, as you can see, so the plan is to split the pile in the yard, stack that, then bring the splitter around front, work thru all this, then put the splitter in the back of the shed, cause I won't be needing it for a while.

The guy said that $8800 was the cheapest, had other estimates between 12k and 22k. Maybe I am in the wrong business..

webwidow- Yes, the owner said it has taken him 5 years from the prints to begin construction, and the town has been nothing but difficult..

I hit major paydirt last week too, never seen such a good free supply - the person had 4 cords (maybe a little more), already bucked, mixed hardwood, partially dry, no rot, and a nice horseshoe driveway with pull up to the pile access. Only a couple miles from me. I got about 1.5 cords, my friends got 1.5, and other people got the rest. Doesn't get any easier. Although I've been finding that the c-list free wood has been really going fast, you have to basically get there the day its listed. I'm trying to get a year ahead on my supply, I think I have 5 cords now, need to measure it. It was all scavenged and hand split.

I could not imagine hauling cords of wood without a trailer, heck I think my tiny 4x8 trailer is too small. Luckily I can sometimes bum the use of a friend's truck and trailer to haul about 2 cords at a time split between us.

Status
Not open for further replies.