Curious about stove temps??? Ideal Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m67tang

Feb 11, 2014
Since I'm new to Cat stoves, and this stove, I'm wondering how my operating temps compare to others?

So, with my stove running and the draft dialed to about 25% and allowing a while to settle in, I'm getting a stove box temp a little above 600f, measured at the front above the door. Does this sound similar to others ?

Sounds about right. I'm not sure if I take my readings the same way as others on the forum and would like my method confirmed. My insert doesn't have a thermometer. I use an IR thermometer. At the top, the steel above the glass reaches around 600 when it's roaring. The glass reads up to 700.

Pretty much in line with what I've seen from other IS owners.

The glass reads up to 700.

Glass readings are useless as you are measuring the radiant heat coming out from the firebox. You need a non-reflective, non-transparent surface for proper IR gun temp readings. A black, matte stove body is pretty much ideal.

Glass readings are useless as you are measuring the radiant heat coming out from the firebox. You need a non-reflective, non-transparent surface for proper IR gun temp readings. A black, matte stove body is pretty much ideal.
Thanks. I kind of thought that was an inaccurate measurement and wanted it confirmed. How accurate are magnetic thermometers and where should it best be placed? I've read it should be at the highest measured spot above the door, but that seems to change based on each individual fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.