Curious: How Long pair of wood stove gloves last you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Jones

Sep 13, 2008
New hampshire
For me I usually burn the fingers solid at the ends after a year...but I try to get 2 years out of a pair of the long sleeve gloves.

I did take welding coarse at local community College and did find welding gloves a little thinner than stove gloves

they seem to come in different thicknesses and quality. I have found some too thin, others just right.

always the index finger and thumb on my right hand glove that fails first

I just buy the cheap ones at Menards and they seem to last a year or two. I suppose they would last longer if I didn't play with the dog, she loves to chew on them.

We have no menards here, so have to buy at hardware store or stove shop. Range $17-25 ...$25 buys long elbow length glove which i prefer.

I also burn out thumb and index finger stiff as I get a little impatient after burning for so many months...day in and day out.

What do you use for fireplace/stove tools? I only have rake or more like small hoe...

All i use for tools are a small rake and a small shovel for ash.

Todd said:
All i use for tools are a small rake and a small shovel for ash.

Same with me -- 18 years of wood stove burning and haven't used gloves yet.

Good question ...I dunno.

On our old stove I didn't even need gloves but on the EPA stove it's leather only and both hands to boot, these stoves get hot. I figure when there is a small hole... those gloves will migrate to the garage and a new pair is required for stove handling.

Stove gloves?? Didn't know there was such a thing. If the stove is burning nice and hot, I guess I just leave it alone. When it cools down and needs more wood, I just chuck a piece in and if it needs adjustin' I just push on the non-burning wood part or use a poker rod. Something has to keep the hair trimmed up on my knuckles...might as well kill two birds with one stone and tend the fire plus burn the hair back at the same time.

rule of thumb for welding gloves is to buy the elk ones, they hold up much better to the heat, usually when gloves get hot the fingers and thumbs get hard and start to deform, takes much linger for elk gloves to do this

Tillman brand gloves are real nice, google it

Gloves ....................... never used them!

If you are talking about gloves just for the stove then 2 yrs easy. I only use them when the stove is extremely hot. No gloves are needed when loading in the Am and when I get home from work.

If it is wood getting gloves - well, could kill a pair in one day.

I get about two years out of a pair. Some last longer than others. Year before last the thumb and forefinger wore right out by about 2/3rds of the way through the season. Bought another pair and they are still in good shape.

Welding gloves two to three years....eyebrows 10 minutes :ahhh: My wife gets a kick out of that at some point every year ! LOL

I sell welding supplies. You want elkskin gloves and be sure they have kevlar stitching. Also be more specific when buying the gloves. Ask for MIG welding gloves that are thicker versus the TIG welding gloves that require very good hand dexterity (glove is thinner). Look at Tillman, REVCO (Black Stallion), or Steiner. They all make gloves that would work.

For bucking and splitting my firewood, I like those cheap cotton gloves that only last about 3 months per pair. For loading the stove, I use long leather gloves that usually last 2 years.

Were you asking about loading the stove? Or gathering the wood?

I got an old pair of firefighter gloves that I use. These gloves were worn out when I got them to use for my stove. Had them five years now just for my stove and would not want to use something different. For reliability reasons I could not tell you the stuff I have done with these gloves. Lets just say often times the poker just hangs on the rack. Check out the link I posted..

http://www.galls.com/msn/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=GL114&cat=2684

I use my welding gloves for welding. For the stove I don't bother with gloves.

Have I ever been burned? Well, not badly :)

How do you burn through gloves like that? I really don't understand why your hands are in there that much.

Adios Pantalones said:

How do you burn through gloves like that? I really don't understand why your hands are in there that much.

I actually do hold my hands in there a bit when packing the firebox to the gills and there is a hotttt bed of coals in there. Sometimes a reload for bed or before leaving for work comes when that stove is already friggin hot man. Some of us Pyroscientists are very specific about exactly how each and every log sits for the specific burn we want to achieve [yeah, call it anal]. I do prefer to place splits nicely in there instead of chucking them in and poking them into place.

I have a pair of welding gloves that are going on the 7th season. How the heck do you guys burn up a pair of these things? Mine are used more for protection of me verses hot metal, not burning logs. Thats what pokers are for.

Adios Pantalones said:

My stove gloves last about 2 burning seasons before holes develop on the fingers. I wear them when loading splits just for the unforeseen, e.g. a split is slightly too long and needs some finagling, a coaled split breaks apart and falls out of the stove, etc. Keep in mind too that downdraft style stoves (e.g. Dutchwest NC's) are ever so picky about the orientation & depth of the coal bed, so one has to 'play' in the firebox longer than 'fire & forget' type stoves.

It's generally not the heat, holding hot coals, etc that cause the fingers to wear out, it's just the abrasion of the wood wearing off the leather as it does for any normal work gloves. I buy the stove gloves since they are nice & long up to my elbows. When I've say, hit the homebrew too hard, it's also a bit of added insurance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.