Curran Renewable Energy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deprayb

Anyone ever heard of these? They are out of Massena, NY up on the St. Lawrence River bordering Canada. They manufacture Super Premium Softwood Pellets, and Premium Hardwood and Premium Hardwood / Softwood Blend Pellets. Never heard anything about them just wondering if anywhere here has? The labtest do not look too bad.

Attachments

• 05-06-10 100 Soft.jpg
    05-06-10 100 Soft.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 06-09-10 100 HdWd.jpg
    06-09-10 100 HdWd.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 10-20-10 Blend.jpg
    10-20-10 Blend.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 478
We've sold their blend. It was a decent pellet, decent heat and a little more ash than I would like. We switched to their softwood pellet and have had much better results. More heat, very little ash.

I installed a new stove a month ago and bought a ton of Curran hardwood pellets because I live 25 miles from their plant. I then read several bad reviews on this site. I tried the logic-e pellets and they are much cleaner and hotter burning in my stove. Curran is a fairly new company and hopefully will improve their product in the future as I prefer to support local businesses.

I reported informally on Currans in 2009 at http://forum.iburncorn.com/viewtopic.php?t=11422&highlight=curran . They seemed OK at the start, but the pellets were very long; up to 1.5". They caused fines to accumulate under the feedwheel of my augerless Bixby stove. This causes an airleak at the feedwheel gasket, which messes up the burn. That was my only gripe about them, but it was a showstopper for me.

Corny

Status
Not open for further replies.