Custom Log Lighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1910Home

Jan 14, 2019
Pomona, CA
Anyone build your own log igniter? I am looking for a longer one than I have found online. Any suggestions?

I am thinking about duplicating the hole spacing and hole size on a store bought one but making the gas outlet holes on both back and front of the pipe.

Capping it at the end with a regular end cap.

Open to any suggestions or shared wisdom!

Attachments

• AC2AC107-7A44-4987-872D-0829AF986796.jpeg
    AC2AC107-7A44-4987-872D-0829AF986796.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 99
As long as you used the factory air mixer I can’t see an issue with it. It’s just 3/8” steel pipe. Instead of just capping it, use a 90 and a short nipple with a cap so it has a leg to hold it up. It will last longer this way.

My fire pit had a built in propane starter. It worked for years before the pipe broke. Since we do a lot of restarting why haven't the stove manufacturer done it.

My fire pit had a built in propane starter. It worked for years before the pipe broke. Since we do a lot of restarting why haven't the stove manufacturer done it.
An open fire is safe enough for a gas starter because there’s so much free air moving either into the atmosphere or up the flue. A stove would become a bomb very quickly killing everyone near it. That’s one good reason manufacturers don’t allow them..

Reactions: Rob711
An open fire is safe enough for a gas starter because there’s so much free air moving either into the atmosphere or up the flue. A stove would become a bomb very quickly killing everyone near it. That’s one good reason manufacturers don’t allow them..
HA! what was I thinking. But my gas oven starts OK. But It would be one more thing to go wrong, with a lot of liability for the manufacture.