Cut and split the logs now or later?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkirk22

Nov 20, 2007
VA Mountains
Here's the situation: I have plenty of dry split wood for next year and maybe the year after. I also have about twenty 20' logs for the future that are stacked off the ground. They were large red cherry trees with 18" to 20" bases and 10" branches.

Is it going to be that much easier to cut and split now or can I hold off until a year before I need them? Or doesn't it matter?

I would split now for a couple of reasons- first- I find that wet wood generally splits easier if there is any cross-grain (stringiness). Wood gets stronger as it dries. Second- the faster it dries, the less chance of any mold, fungus, or bugs. They tend to attack moist wood more, and in log/tree form it will stay pretty moist for a lot longer.

You might also consider the lumber value of that wood! Find the right sawmill and they may pay a pretty penny for cherry trees with a 20" base. Seriously consider that.

I've let my logs lay off the ground uncovered up to 3 years with no rotting problems. Sure as they dry out it works your saw more but I don't think they get that much harder to cut. Cherry is a much harder wood than what I'm use to...maybe a wood processor will weigh in on this discussion they would know. The main consideration is that cut logs don't lose their moisture as fast as you would think they do. That's my experience here in CNY (the cloud graveyard) W.VA could be different.

Adios Pantalones said:
I would split now for a couple of reasons- first- I find that wet wood generally splits easier if there is any cross-grain (stringiness). Wood gets stronger as it dries. Second- the faster it dries, the less chance of any mold, fungus, or bugs. They tend to attack moist wood more, and in log/tree form it will stay pretty moist for a lot longer.

You might also consider the lumber value of that wood! Find the right sawmill and they may pay a pretty penny for cherry trees with a 20" base. Seriously consider that.

Thanks for the replies.

Off the top of my head, there was 1 tree that was suitable for lumber. The rest were forked, twisted, bent, etc. There's a sawmill nearby though so I'll check it out.

I agree with checking to see if you can sell any logs.

After a woods has been logged off the tops are usually left laying. I've known people who have cut firewood from those tree tops after 5 years laying in the woods and they have gotten great firewood. Personally, I've cut some that had been laying for 3 years and all was good wood but none were cherry.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd cut that firewood asap and get it split and stacked. For sure then it will keep for a long, long time and will be ready when you are ready to use it.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.