Cut damper worries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rakuz66

Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Maple Glen, Pa.
Is this a structural issue? This is the front

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 241
Id sure like to know if it is. Looks exactly like mine. You havent been poking your lens in my chimney while I was at work have you?

Nope. Not an issue.

Whewww!!!! Thanks BB, thought I had another head-ache to fix before I get started on the B Plate. Any reason a block off plate couldn't be at an angle? If I follow the contour of my damper, it sits at a slight angle but it would be much easier to fashion a block off plate that way. I could sit it on top of the damper surround.

BrotherBart said:
Nope. Not an issue.

Are you sure? Looks like mine and I considered mine to be a structural issue. On mine it appears they built the chimney up to complete the firebox and then set the damper assembly in place and used the front of the damper assembly to support the inner layer of brick, very similar to whats seen here. I have two layers of brick in the front (inside house), one is a 'decorative' facing and the inner one eventually forms the outside of the brick chimney above the roof line on the same side.

When I began to remove my damper assembly (too small for flexi) this floating brick course became apparent and I assumed I would need to install a 36x3" steel plate to provide support.

steve a

Status
Not open for further replies.