Cut down some trees and have black staining inside. Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fcwest14

Dec 20, 2015
Weston, CT
Hey there. Cut down a couple trees and have some black staining on the inside of the trunk (see attached picture). I have never seen this before so was wondering if anyone knew what it was, and if that wood is safe to burning in my stove once it's seasoned. Thank you!

Attachments

• Tree Staining.jpg
    Tree Staining.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 328
Hey there. Cut down a couple trees and have some black staining on the inside of the trunk (see attached picture). I have never seen this before so was wondering if anyone knew what it was, and if that wood is safe to burning in my stove once it's seasoned. Thank you!

Totally unsafe to burn, you should drop it off at my house and I will properly dispose of it for you!

My guess is that part of the tree was exposed (no bark) and the tree grew around it over time. This is probably a small amount of organic material decomposed at the interface area mixed withe water/sap and runs out when you cut through it. Would think harmless to burn. Wouldn't drink it though.:p Kevin

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
What tree was this? European chestnut is infected by a fungus that causes very similar black staining. It is totally safe to burn and handle though. It is called “ink illness” (the translation is mine, I have no idea of the proper English name).

I've had logs with much smaller staining. I burnt them.

That's very interesting, the color of it is very similar to when a bolt or nail is embedded into the wood, but the amount of staining is perplexing, hopefully someone has answer to what caused it. As far as burning, go right ahead and burn away, fire doesn't care.

Nothing to worry about. There was some sort of major injury to the tree at one point and the tree walled it off. In areas where than has been a ice storm this type of staining if prevalent years after and the bane of timber operations. What looks like a good sawlog on the outside turns into a piece of firewood when cut and the staining is exposed.

If there had been a fire in the area years ago that could also explain it. I saw it on a road building job I was on.