Cut some sugar maple yesterday.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
maple1.jpeg
maple1.jpeg
maple3.jpeg
maple3.jpeg
maple5.jpeg
maple6.jpeg

Attachments

• maple2.jpeg
    maple2.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 126
  • maple4.jpeg
    maple4.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: Jeffm1
Nice work. Your stuff looked a little aged. Dead or been felled for a while?

Nice work. Your stuff looked a little aged. Dead or been felled for a while?
Standing dead for several years ,a tree service hauled it here instead of the dump where they would have to pay money.You get lucky often if you stay alert.New blade was smoking.

Looks like its partially petrified ;)

Chain too tight, bar not mounted properly.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chain too tight, bar not mounted properly.....

I've wondered about having the tight chain tension. Is there a quick and easy way to tell? To date, I tighten until pulling on the chain firmly with two fingers will lift the chain off the bar while leaving a decent amount of the teeth that engage the drive gear in the bar with enough material to feel safe... 1/3 to half of the tooth, maybe. I don't have issues with the chain over heating or coming off, so it seems right, but is best to know it's right.

I've wondered about having the tight chain tension. Is there a quick and easy way to tell? To date, I tighten until pulling on the chain firmly with two fingers will lift the chain off the bar while leaving a decent amount of the teeth that engage the drive gear in the bar with enough material to feel safe... 1/3 to half of the tooth, maybe. I don't have issues with the chain over heating or coming off, so it seems right, but is best to know it's right.
You sound good...what I do is pinch the bottom of the chain, not so firmly, hard to explain, until I can fit the width of a nickel between the chain and bar and the chain slips out of my fingers.....kind of like enough pinching pressure to pinch skin but not make it hurt...if any of that makes sense!)...

Yup.

Check your autolube system. Is the chain wet? Did you use any bar oil?
Chain is wet a hair too tight,new blade and bar everything seems okay now . Am cutting the last round.

I've wondered about having the tight chain tension. Is there a quick and easy way to tell?
I want it just tight enough where I can still easily move the chain around the bar, pulling it with one (gloved) hand. Then check tension after a few cuts to make sure it hasn't loosened up.

That's a chainsaw killer right there. Good work! Awesome wood to have in the stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.