Cutting 20+ yr.old Black oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Here goes- limb wood, 3-6" diam already cut to 16-18" lengths. Cut prior to 1991. I know, 'cause I cut it for my Dad before I moved to Colorado. He moved to Neb. and brought it with him, then brought me a bunch (for BBQing- best stuff out there for Tri-Tip). I tried to cut some tonight for the grill, and...
I knew a chainsaw wasn't going to work so, I used a compound mitre saw, just to cut some wafers.
I now have a beautiful, bulbous nose, as chunks cracked off and smacked me right in the nose! Glad I had glasses on.
So, no more chop-saw. Should I look at a band saw? I've got a lot of this to cut, plus a ton(s) of Oak dunnage to cut in the future. Thoughts?
(Feel free to laugh, I deserve it.)

Yep, a band saw is the way to go. Safer ! :)
Lots of other uses too so you'll use it often, if you go that route.

If you can clamp one end of the pieces down, a chain saw will work OK too. A small one would work well.

My buddy up the way cuts apple every year for smoking/grilling using a band saw. Hope you nose feels better.

I think I'll start shopping for a deep- cut "porta band". Should be more versatile than a fixed saw.
As a plus, if my nose stays this color until bow season, I'll save on face paint.

Reactions: ScotO
Here at my house I use heavy duty Delta 14" Bandsaw in my cabinet shop for occasional cutting of small rounds for the smoker etc.At parents acreage out in the sticks I have a 20+ yr old very heavy cast iron Delta Miter Saw w/10" x 40 tooth carbide blade for cutting all sticks/poles/odds & ends from 1" to 5" diameter. Much faster than chainsaw because of the 1/8" kerf.

Bone dry rock hard oak cuts well with a carbide toothed blade in a skill saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.