Cutting attic truss bottom chord for ceiling box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m pretty certain that was my point.
I wasn't sure if that was your point or not. It just wasn't clear to me I liked your post I just wasn't sure which way that part was meant to go

Reactions: Hoytman
Before to much work occurs why not just move the hearth over so things are centered more between the trusses, a few inches prob wont kill the whole room, saves a lot of heart ache to, maybe move things to a different spot, not necessarily along the same wall?

Reactions: mcdougy
I’m right there with you. I haven’t said I would take the risk. It’s just that some people have no business taking the risk.
Not to keep beating a dead horse but I drive by an old house that somebody really screwed the pooch on at some time in it’s life. The spine AKA the Ridgeline of the roof looks just like some poor old sway backed horse put out to pasture. It hasn’t fallen down in the 34 years I’ve been driving by it.
I don’t agree with what some meat cutter did but some engineers are better left alone. My father was a software engineer who freaked out when I ripped out my first engine and rebuilt it. My brother is a Director of Mechanical Engineering for a multi billion dollar company. I’ve been assigned to work directly under a few engineers in machining prototypes who let me refigure more than a few issues on my own and just inform them so they could make the proper changes in documents.
I guess I’m braver than most.

No harm. No foul.

One of the best engineers I ever had the pleasure of meeting and working alongside never finished high school. He was an engineer for the worlds largest company in the plastic drainage pipe industry. Nearing his retirement there was a company meeting and it came down from the top no new hires without a college degree. He spoke up and said then you wouldn’t have hired me. Well of course I would have hired you. No you wouldn’t. Why not? I never graduated from high school. The guy had no idea John hadn’t finished school. He was so well respected as such a smart, kind, and humble man. He delivered some humble pie that day, for sure. John’s point was, don’t ever fail to give someone a chance regardless of their education. There are plenty of smart people out there who did get a chance to go to college.

John had a way of doing things and a way of talking to people, persuading them, and many times showing them where they were missing something. He had common sense about him and a unique way of doing things his own way often proving himself and his ideas.

John made a lasting impression on me and many others. Even those much more highly educated than himself. Rest In Peace, John.

Not to keep beating a dead horse but I drive by an old house that somebody really screwed the pooch on at some time in it’s life. The spine AKA the Ridgeline of the roof looks just like some poor old sway backed horse put out to pasture. It hasn’t fallen down in the 34 years I’ve been driving by it.
I don’t agree with what some meat cutter did but some engineers are better left alone. My father was a software engineer who freaked out when I ripped out my first engine and rebuilt it. My brother is a Director of Mechanical Engineering for a multi billion dollar company. I’ve been assigned to work directly under a few engineers in machining prototypes who let me refigure more than a few issues on my own and just inform them so they could make the proper changes in documents.
I guess I’m braver than most.

No harm. No foul.
I personally would be comfortable in my ability to re engineer the structure to work. But when dealing with trusses it isn't as simple as with basic framing and most people probably shouldn't be messing with it.

I would be willing to chop up one of my roof trusses for you right after you buy my house from me and not a moment before. Scoot the damn stove over.

Reactions: mcdougy
Ditto, move the stove to avoid the 1.5" truss member....if you hit it dead center, you are talking 7" at most??

I used to tell my coworkers "You could have built the Empire State Building with twice as much steel and it still would be standing".

Thank you. Please make check out to "Cracker Jack Box Engineering LLC."
1615221108333.png
I think you just designed the chimney for this bad boy! ;lol
1615220858549.png