Cutting ice with chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I feel like fish for dinner tomorrow. Will i dull my brand new chain (that I put on my brand new bar) cutting though the ice?

Is it safe to cut a fishing hole?

It does not hurt the chain but realize the bar oil is going to end up in the water which is not a good thing.

I'd suggest using canola oil in the saw--the fish will be ready for the pan :)
Thanks
It will be veggie oil!

When I use the chainsaw to cut through the ice I'll first make a cut to see the depth, once i figure out how deep the ice is I'll make my cuts but only 2/3 through the hole, by cutting 2/3 you will speed things up and stay drier, I'll then finish the rest of the hole (water adds resistance slowing the cut down, also makes a mess with splashing up), wear higher boots.

When I use the chainsaw to cut through the ice I'll first make a cut to see the depth, once i figure out how deep the ice is I'll make my cuts but only 2/3 through the hole, by cutting 2/3 you will speed things up and stay drier, I'll then finish the rest of the hole (water adds resistance slowing the cut down, also makes a mess with splashing up), wear higher boots.

Thanks Kenny

This is the type of info I was looking for.

Today is not a good day to be on the lake, very windy and -16*C. The boring Princess is humming along, I suppose I could have a glass of wine and have a nap!! Or work!!!!