Cutting in the rain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
It looks like my area stands a good chance of getting by by Sandi....Hurricane, or Tropical storm.....it will hit while I'm on the road most likely....I'm thinking of packing my trusty Craftsman saw in case I run into trees down blocking my path......is there anything I should know before cutting wood that is gonna be real wet ???...is it more prone to kickback ???.....I always carry a Tow Chain to try and drag stuff out of the way, but may need to cut also. Thanks.

The only problem I've ever had cutting in the rain (other than getting totally waterlogged and soaked) was I fouled the saw due to uptake of water through the air filter......but I cut a LOT of wood that day, and it was POURING. Long story on that one. Anyway, just use your typical methods of cutting but be cautious of the log and working surfaces being slippery.

Just make sure the tree isn't lying on top of a charged electrical line . . . that could ruin your day pretty quickly.

+1
"Blow down" is dangerous cutting.
There'll be stored energy in the tree/trees, broken & spring loaded limbs.
My be multiple trees twisted & bound together. When cut, parts can go all directions.
May even be some overhead hangers waiting to come down on you.
I'm not worried about the saw, just the other hazards associated with "blow down".
Be real careful ;)

Take and wear rain clothing. Saw should do just fine. Windshield wipers on your eyeglasses might help too if you wear them.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks guys....hopefully I won't run into a problem on the road....but this is also good to know if I should need to do something around my nieghborhood after the storm

Status
Not open for further replies.