Cutting in the Thick Brush and Along Comes Pepé Le Pew!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
He was a sprayin' while I was a runnin' and a fallin' down with my eyes watering and nose sniffling! He missed me, but of course just being in close proximity to the blast makes for a lingering fragrance on my clothes!

Anyway, I managed to get some wood cut:
IMG_7452%20(800x600).jpg

The hardest part was getting the load pulled out of there:
IMG_7455%20(800x600).jpg

Quads, it always amazes me that your wood always looks seasoned before you cut it! How do you accomplish this?

gzecc said:
Quads, it always amazes me that your wood always looks seasoned before you cut it! How do you accomplish this?
It's because I don't work fast enough to cut it 'green'! ;-)

EatenByLimestone said:
What, no striped bunny pic?

Woose.

Matt
Nope! After the first 20 feet of running, I was laying on my face in the thorns!

Ouch, hope you didn't get cut up too badly. Good thing you weren't holding a running saw in front of you when you ran.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Ouch, hope you didn't get cut up too badly. Good thing you weren't holding a running saw in front of you when you ran.

Matt

Sounds like it was thick enough to cut it with the chainsaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always told my kids to not eat yellow snow and stay away from the black and white kittens.
leaddog

It's thick raspberry brush. I have to use the chainsaw like a weedwhacker to get to the wood on the ground. I get tore up quite a bit just while working in it, so a little extra from running and falling down wasn't noticeable!

Hey Quads, is that typical of the woods up by you? Semi – open with just scattered trees here and there?

If I took a pic of our woods here now, the forest floor would be in shadows with the canopy filling in.

The other ones you posted, with the wood in the trailer, your trails looked all sand. Here it’s just starting to dry out.

No, that's not typical. A typical woods around here is a thick canopy of oaks mixed with crowded stands of jackpine. The woods where I'm normally cutting was hit hard by a tornado several years ago, then logged off afterward to clean up what could be salvaged.

It is all sand here, and some gravel mixed in here and there. The Central Sands area of Wisconsin is what was once the bottom of an ancient glacial lake. The only place that isn't sand is along a few of the creeks where sometimes you find a little red clay.

Hey quads, at least you can still run. What about us guys who can no longer run?! That would be terrible.

I still recall the time I got 6 of those suckers while cutting hay. That smell stays around a long time....even on a tractor tire. Nasty.

You may have escaped, but be advised if Pepe' hit your wood with that stuff it will forever more carry a reminder of the encounter...

That's okay. Quads leaves his wood stacked out in the woods for a long time before taking it to his porch. This one though, may stay out there a bit longer. lol

Ha ha! Like Dennis said, it will be years before I bring that stack of wood up anywhere near the house, but regardless he didn't hit any wood, just squirted all over the raspberry bushes. I'll have to remind Mrs. Quads not to pick berries in that spot this year! The stink will probably be washed away by then though.

LOL so you raised a stink eh! Those raspberry bushes sure do like rotting wood. I mulch the raspberries in my garden with some of the wood fines from my processing area.

LLigetfa said:
LOL so you raised a stink eh! Those raspberry bushes sure do like rotting wood. I mulch the raspberries in my garden with some of the wood fines from my processing area.
Yes indeed! And the whole area still stinks. I'm hoping if we get some rain soon the smell will wash away.

There never used to be raspberries out there, 10 years ago. Then after the woods was 'opened up' from the storm and the logging afterward, that's when the raspberries took over. They literally cover the 80+ acres where the storm damage was.

You all know what the woods looks like now from my pictures, and here are a few samples of what it used to look like. They are small in size because I took them years ago with my old floppy disc camera.

I don't have a lot of pictures of what the woods looked like before the storm in 2004, but here is one I took of a little picnic area we used to have then. Note that there are no raspberries, the canopy is quite thick, and you can actually see grass on the forest floor:
picnic%20area%2014f.jpg

A couple from the day after the storm. These were taken from the edge of the woods, because it was pretty much impossible to get out there:
MVC-068F.jpg

MVC-042F.jpg

And here is one of the harvesters cleaning up:
MVC-128F.jpg

purplereign said:
And I'm guessin' it is wood tick heaven (at least if its like it is 4-5 counties north of ya!).
It sure is this year! Fortunately, woodticks don't bother me very much. I'll sometimes find a few crawling around on me, but very rarely do any dig in!

Status
Not open for further replies.