Going in a dumpster?!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mywaynow said:
I am happy to see that loaded Yota is in Ohio and no where near me! How many helper springs are on that?

yeah, that little Yota is loaded pretty good, here is my Yota with a bit more in it

did not mean to high jack your post flatbedford

Attachments

• maple.jpg
    maple.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 321
  • P10100072-1.jpg
    P10100072-1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 304
At least you hijacked with a cool flatbed. ;-)

I was able to sneak out of work early yesterday and was home at about 6 pm. I took the dirt road home and saw that they had started loading the dumpster! There was still some wood stacked on the path and the mud had dried up. I raced home, changed my clothes, unloaded the F250, threw the saw, tools and PPE into the tool box and went back for more. In 4 wheel drive, with a little effort and some flying dirt and mud I was able to back the truck right up to a pile of cut Black Locust.
0325111840.jpg

The rounds are a little longer than I would like, but I'll take 'em. After I had the truck up the hill I was able to back in further until I had a pretty nice load on. I took this load back to the house to unload
0325111853.jpg

and went back for more. I was quickly running out of daylight, but in the time I had left I bucked up a 30' or so Black Locust.
0325111925.jpg

Not a full load, but it was getting dark and the chain was about ready for a sharpening.
It was a shame to see all that good wood in the dumpster, but there was no easy way to get it out alone.
0325111925a.jpg

There is still wood there. My next day off is Monday so I'll take a ride over and try to get more.
Its hard for me to tell right now with two piles on the ground, the old flatbed still loaded and the small load in the pickup, but I think that I have taken about 1 1/2 cords out of there. Some it was either standing dead or down for a while. No bark and a nice shiny grey color. I bet I could split some of it and burn it tonight! This score is more than 1/4 of what I burn in a season and with it I now have 2 cords for 12-13. I may even make this 11-12 wood and give my Red and White Oak one more year to season. This has been a good wood week for me.

As stated earlier, Contact the dumpster company and have them dump it at your place. Should save them the tipping fee. Just gotta figure out how to bill the landowner for their service so they are happy.

Will

Going back to your original post, I think I would have left the lawnmower in the dumpster and filled the truck with wood. In the long run, would have been cheaper to buy a new lawnmower....

I may have made the last haul yesterday. There were a couple logs near the dumpster that I cut and tossed in the truck. I also pulled some out of the dumpster. They are still pulling stuff out of the woods but it is mostly pretty rotten and twisted stuff.
Transfer from dumpster to flatbed.
0328111542.jpg

I nice pile at the house. This and about 1/3 cord in the back yard should end up just under 2 cords.
0328111628a.jpg

Some of this wood is super dry already I could probably throw these in the stove tonight.
0327111846.jpg

0327111849.jpg

I'm thinking that even the greener stuff from the haul should be ready for next winter. Am I safe to assume that Black locust will be ready to burn after one summer c/s/s in the sun and wind?

Status
Not open for further replies.