1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cutting Osage orange / Hedge in the summer

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Big Donnie Brasco, Apr 29, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    3 of those and you've got a load.
    smokinj likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Nope didn't say I could cut it, but a rookie with less than above average chain skills if don't prepared will! I would run a 460- 20 inch bar full chisel The one lukem posted it would be a good run. Nothing like a 50 inch Oak! But, you get the idea! Everything need to be at top notch! :cool: 44 inch red oak 6 chains 7 tanks of fuel and 9 man hrs. It really does come down to horse power and great chains. It another reason guys turn to modd.s and the fuel they use.

james.jpg
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Yea that's the way to find it. Ones I get look more like an over grown apple tree. You arms get more cuts than the tree. (But its still worth it)
  4. Big Donnie Brasco

Big Donnie Brasco Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Central Kansas
    How the hell do you get the rounds in your truck / trailer !??!?!
  5. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Nice score! Good luck with the new saw, getcha some chaps if you haven't already. I second what the others have said and will add:

- crazy bended limbs pushing against one another can cause pressure you don't see and get saws stuck, A common impromptu workout regimen for me with hedge <>
    - any tools that keep you "away" can help with thorns when limbing. I use a ditch bank blade

and long pruner / loppers. Often wish i had a flamethrower. ES2282-Surveyors-Brush-Axe-Ditch-Bank-Blade-813008-md.jpg

and MOST IMPORTANTLY: looked like a hunting pic in your first avatar. Might want to save a few 70" evenly reflexed sections ;)
  6. Big Donnie Brasco

Loc:
    East Central Kansas

Yep, I am a hunter :) You want some hedge for a bow?

I started a thread about a HUGE turkey that I just shot but it never showed up! Too picture heavy maybe?
  7. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Try opening pics in "paint" and re-sizing. Got plenty of osage here,and cutting wood has taken my bow-time away temporarily, but thanks a bunch for the offer. Where are you at?
    You could probably get some hits on CL for nice stave splits (= Saw $$$!) Remember, A wise guy never pays for his drinks!
  8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    HAHA, then i watch shows like "Yukon men" and they have a 35 year old beat to heck trck loaded up to the top of the cab the whole bed length and it does not even look like there is anything in the truck!!! Im thinking they have a 1 ton suspention with add a leafs on it and air shocks or something? I have a 1/2 ton 1980 K10 shortbed truck, with 3 rows in it (basically to the back of teh wheel wells) leveled up to the bed rails with oak that thing has the headlights pointing to the sky!!!

Cut some Locust last fall, I may as well been cutting cinder blocks, my chain dulled so fast! I think i went through 2 chains (that were sharpened on my grinder)and maybe finished off a dull one that was in my saw bucket just to get enough wood to load my ford ranger shortbed, that has a tool box in it!!!

We dont make this stuff up, i dont think you could in your wildest dreams think that wood would do the kinds of things we talk about.
  9. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I found that the carbide chain really handles the osage pretty good.
    I think hedge is part wood and something metallic.
  10. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Know locust. Fried the blooms in butter, good stuff ;)

Helped Dad cut & split locust for fence posts, I bet they are still there! (WV & PA)
    Put them up green so you can get a nail in them.
    When dry, you can't drive a nail in it ;)

Just having fun, ;)
  11. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    'Splain?
  12. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Food!
  13. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Locust blooms?
  14. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Black locusts bloom every so often. Never thought about eating it though :eek:
  15. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    That's actually a good idea. Except for the chains they have on those Makitas. Big-@ss-bumper-link chain might not do so well.
  16. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I recall them being really good. Been many years but they were good enough that I remember.
    Not sure how mom cooked them.

http://www.wildfoods.info/wildfoods/blacklocust.html
  17. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Buy a real chain for it ;)
    We're talking thousands of dollars $$ of fuel savings here ! :)
  18. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
  19. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I have girdled trees, then dropped them later. They get a LOT harder to cut if you leave them for any time. Seeing as osage is the densest wood that grows in the US, I would absolutely not girdle them now- I wouldn't want them any harder to cut.
    Nixon likes this.
  20. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    They will cut much easier when live than they ever will after you let them sit and "petrify" for a while.
  21. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    This is true, but still very manageable. The wood lot I cut on is full of hedge trees that were girdled 15-20 years ago. They are hard, but not ridiculous. I've cut about 10 cord of these trees over the past 3 years and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
  22. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    And Osage is one that will darn near dry on the stump (if old enough). I have cut some dead bastages that could have been tossed straight into the stove.
    chvymn99 and smokinj like this.
  23. Big Donnie Brasco

Loc:
    East Central Kansas
    Thanks guys... My only real concern was that I heard the sap could gum up my saw/blade. The I am hoping that my new Stihl 036 BEAST will just laugh at it!!!! :)
  24. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Don't sweat it Donnie. The saw will do a fine job and if need be, the clean up ain't bad either.
    Big Donnie Brasco likes this.
  25. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Oh, if that's what's available- then by all means you'd be crazy not to take it. Girdling them on purpose now, however, is more work will just make the job a bit tougher in the long run I think.

The only osage I've had was bow staves. I actually really liked working it- gives a satisfying crunch with a draw knife or spoke shave. The sawdust was a bit irritating, however (and gave me bright yellow snot).
    Big Donnie Brasco likes this.