Cutting refractory panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

serpikv

Apr 11, 2024
California
Hi,

I bought Hargrove refractory panels to cut them for the size needed.
I understand that I can cut them with a saw with a diamond blade.
But the original ones have rabbet profile (like a small step) on one side (to lock them against each other).

Any advice how I can make this 'step' (maybe using diamond rabbet router bit or any other way) ?

And the second question what to use to drill a hole for the gas pipe?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards
Vlad

You should be able to cut that rabbet with a wet saw like a tile cutter uses. You can do it by making two cuts. One with the panel horizontal & the second with it vertical. Use a carbide-tipped masonry drill bit for the hole. It will be easier using a smaller bit & punching a bunch of holes in a circular pattern then knocking out the center.

Reactions: EbS-P
Thank you for the advice.
I am afraid it will be a little bit tricky to cut 1 inch thick panel having it in a vertical position.

You think router with a masonry rabbet bit would not work on this kind of material ?

Regards
Vlad

You could fabricate an “L-shaped” fixture to clamp it vertically. Not sure about the router. Might be a bit much for the motor.

Last edited:
You could also butt the two pieces together and see if that works well enough. The NC30 came like this and was a very clean burning stove.

Thank you for the advice.
I am afraid it will be a little bit tricky to cut 1 inch thick panel having it in a vertical position.

You think router with a masonry rabbet bit would not work on this kind of material ?

Regards
Vlad
I just use an angle grinder and cut the rabbit by hand

Reactions: DAKSY