CyberPower installed! Power failure question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
I now have my UPS hooked up, but I want to make sure I understand what happens when we have a power failure. Note! We don't run the stove when we are not at home! So, power goes out, the UPS instantly kicks in and the stove goes into the startup mode dropping lots of pellets into the burn pot. Since I don't want this to happen, I go to the stove and hit the power button to put the stove into the shutdown mode. Am I correct in assuming that once the UPS kicks in, the stove goes into the startup mode? What I really want is for the stove to automatically go into the shutdown mode. Curious! Bill

bostonfan49 said:
I now have my UPS hooked up, but I want to make sure I understand what happens when we have a power failure. Note! We don't run the stove when we are not at home! So, power goes out, the UPS instantly kicks in and the stove goes into the startup mode dropping lots of pellets into the burn pot. Since I don't want this to happen, I go to the stove and hit the power button to put the stove into the shutdown mode. Am I correct in assuming that once the UPS kicks in, the stove goes into the startup mode? What I really want is for the stove to automatically go into the shutdown mode. Curious! Bill

The stove shouldn't even see the power failure, the stove stays in run mode if it was running, that is what an UPS is all about.

OK...me bad! So it just keeps running until the batterys give out. However....I would simply just shut the stove down. So, is there anyway to get the stove to automatically go into the shutdown mode? (when the UPS kicks in) Bill

bostonfan49 said:
OK...me bad! So it just keeps running until the batterys give out. However....I would simply just shut the stove down. So, is there anyway to get the stove to automatically go into the shutdown mode? (when the UPS kicks in) Bill

Custom wiring in the UPS to kill the t-stat in on/off mode, no call for heat stove heads for shutdown.

I sort of appreciate your reply. Your basically saying (Yes) it can be done...unfortunately your reply is all gobbledygook to me. It's too late for my brain to think clearly. Hopefully I can understand what I will need to do with some follow-up....zzzzzzzzzzzzzBill

bostonfan49 said:
I sort of appreciate your reply. Your basically saying (Yes) it can be done...unfortunately your reply is all gobbledygook to me. It's too late for my brain to think clearly. Hopefully I can understand what I will need to do with some follow-up....zzzzzzzzzzzzzBill

If you only run it while you are home why go through all the trouble? There are some threads here where people explain how to do it...too complicated for me :ahhh:

bostonfan49 said:

I've got to be elsewhere for the most of the day, but IHATEPROPANE has covered the ground unless you have some electrical background and are handy.

To find out what you have to do you'll need to do a search, the search box is in the upper left corner of this page.

Thanks all! I was hoping it would be real easy. I'm just trying to make it easier for my wife.She likes the heat, but the stove scares her! She's getting better though, she will load pellets when needed but I can't get her to fondle them........sad

bostonfan49 said:
Thanks all! I was hoping it would be real easy. I'm just trying to make it easier for my wife.She likes the heat, but the stove scares her! She's getting better though, she will load pellets when needed but I can't get her to fondle them........sad

I think everyone would like their wife to fondle their pellets more!

Adding a relay in-series with an external thermostat only works if your stove normally shuts down completely when the thermostat is open. If your stove just throttles back to a minimum burn when the thermostat opens, this relay won't automatically shutdown the stove....it will just keep running until the UPS battery dies. Because of this, I will wire the relay in-series with my auger motor, so that if the utility power fails, this relay stops the fuel feed, and the stove will go out before the UPS battery dies, safely evacuating the smoke, so it does not back-up into my house (I have a horizontal flue, with no natural drafting).

Status
Not open for further replies.