cypress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

closedknuckle

May 14, 2009
midwest
Has anybody burned any cypress? I got some free, and it looks like after dryint it should be usuable?
Thank you

There are a couple of trees called cypress, and although they really aren't very closely related, I think the wood is similar in all of them. The most common wild cypress is Bald Cypress, which is common in swamps in the south. It has light wood, probably like spruce for burning. There is also Pond Cypress, which is a lot like Bald Cypress. I guess in MO you have Bald Cypress. THere are several other trees that are called cypress, but those would only be planted, not growing in the wild. Whatever tree you have, the wood will be great for burning once it is dried. Stacked and split now, it will be fine for next year.

I got some cypress sawmill scraps from a guy around here and burned them this year...it burns good...just does not make much of a coal bed..seems to turn to ashes pretty quick. I found it good for quick fires on cool mornings or for kindling. It is wood and produces heat...so its good for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.