1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

D44 Columbian Bench Vise

Post in 'The Gear' started by thewoodlands, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I bought this Columbian Bench Vise tonight, everything seems in good working order. If I decide to repaint this what is the best way to remove the old paint?

zap

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    There ya go, Zap. That ought to provide years of service. The swivel bar looks a little bent, but that shouldn't be a big issue. Wire wheel/cup on a grinder will get that ready for fresh paint in no time. Good job! :)
  3. thewoodlands

Beetle-Kill have you ever tried this?

https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/electrolysis/electrolysis.htm

zap
  4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Nope, can't say I have. But now, after reading that, I'll have to. Just have to find something really rusty to try it on. If you try it, let us know how it turns out. I doubt you'd damage the vise, but I'm curious about paint and rust removal.
  5. dirttracker

dirttracker Member

Loc:
    S. Wisconsin
    I've used that method for cleaning tractor parts, it works well on rusty painted objects. I've cleaned parts much worse than your vise - the more rust you have leave it sit longer in the solution. Just be sure you get the polarity right. I usually take a wire wheel to the parts after a good soak to remove any attached crud. If only I had a swimming pool and a huge power supply - I could do entire cars. :)
  6. thewoodlands

It took just over two hours with the Makita 4 inch grinder and a 3 inch grinding wheel on the drill, I still have some paint that needs to come off then I have to decide if I want it painted or just a hunk of steel.

zap

Attached Files:

7. thinkxingu

thinkxingu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH
    Looks good. It'd be cool if you could find out the original paint color and have it powdercoated. I'd be careful with how it gets painted so as not to end up in the same place.

S
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.