Damper Sealing Kit vs Block Off Plate, Uninsulated vs Insulated Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MinM

Mar 6, 2018
Central MA
Hi All- I'm considering a Jotul C550 Rockland insert into my fireplace. When I asked if they could install a block-off plate, they revised the quote to include the damper sealing kit. Can anyone tell me the difference (is there a difference) between that and a block-off plate? Also, for an exterior chimney, does it matter if the liner is insulated or not? Any insight appreciated, and thanks- especially to the regulars. Tons of knowledge here, and it's really appreciated.

Only a beginner here, but as I understand it your flue should be insulated to keep the draft hot, and going up. The insulation would keep the temps higher and longer for that draw, if I understand the dynamics correctly.

Hi All- I'm considering a Jotul C550 Rockland insert into my fireplace. When I asked if they could install a block-off plate, they revised the quote to include the damper sealing kit. Can anyone tell me the difference (is there a difference) between that and a block-off plate? Also, for an exterior chimney, does it matter if the liner is insulated or not? Any insight appreciated, and thanks- especially to the regulars. Tons of knowledge here, and it's really appreciated.
If done correctly a damper sealing kit should work fine. And yes you always want to insulate liners. The performance and safety benifits are well worth it. And it is usually required by code because most masonry chimneys don't have the required clearance to combustibles.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Sorry all, I thought I was done, but one more quick question- my Jotul dealer is asking $800 extra for an insulated liner ($800 uninsulated, $1600 for insulated). Is that a lot? I have a two story colonial, exterior chimney (his will be my first wood-burning appliance, thus my anal retentiveness). Again, any input greatly appreciated and thanks.

Sorry all, I thought I was done, but one more quick question- my Jotul dealer is asking $800 extra for an insulated liner ($800 uninsulated, $1600 for insulated). Is that a lot? I have a two story colonial, exterior chimney (his will be my first wood-burning appliance, thus my anal retentiveness). Again, any input greatly appreciated and thanks.
That up charge is way too much

Yeah, figured. Looks like they go for around $900 on line. I want to be fair- I don't expect a brick-and-mortar store to have Amazon prices, but I'm not interested in getting ripped off. $1000 reasonable?