Damper Spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMadd

Oct 15, 2014
Highland, NY
I just bought a house with a Magnum Baby Country Side in it. The damper is loose and the spring is just flopping around on the control rod. Consequently the damper just falls closed and I have to tape it open. You can imagine I can't fine tune it either because of this. Does anyone have a picture or advice on how it is supposed to be installed properly? Thanks!

I just did a search and couldn't find a single parts diagram for that stove. A picture might help us figure it out.

Yeah, it's weird. There isn't even one in the manual. It just says it's on the back of the stove.

Can you take a pic of where you think it should go? We might be able to figure it out.

From the video I now know that I have to dust also.

After watching the video a few dozen times I finally figured it out. That spring is supposed to be putting tension between the damper shaft handle and the stove outlet. That spring is to short. Either stretch the current spring out some, or go the the hardware store with the old spring and get one that's longer. Your want the spring long enough so that it's putting tension on the damper shaft handle. I hope that makes sense.

Ok. Thanks JDenyer, that makes sense. Bases on that I went for the spit and duct tape approach. Actually, nuts and bolts. Works like a charm. Problem solved. Now all I need is the cast iron burn pot I ordered and I'm golden.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 95
Cool glad you got it sorted out:cool: Be sure to post pics when you get it running.

Figured it share tech support's response. Nice that they got back to me. Might be a more sophisticated way than my nut and bolt rigging:

"Greg, the reason it is doing this is the keeper that puts the spring
tension on the handle is gone and the spring is loose. If you can get a
small hose clamp from a hardware store and put over the shaft and put
tension on the spring that will solve it for you."

Status
Not open for further replies.