Dang! There's a hole in that chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the arguments for requiring construction permits and inspections of critical systems. You buy a home and hope it was built correctly.

Whoa !!! I think there is a lawsuit in the future of whomever did that..

Is that some type of clean-out hole?
It looks to round to be not man made.

I have seen in older chimney's that they have a round hole in there with something that looks like a round plate covering it.
My parents have one in their chimney and my in-laws do also.

It looks like they could have covered it up.

Looks like maybe an old furnace was removed and they just covered the chimney with rock after that. Remove oil furnace and install heat pump...no longer need chimney. New people move in and install stove... incorrectly without liner.. and you ingredients for fire.

Just imagine the thought process of the idiot who covered that hole with sheetrock?

DonNC said:
Looks like maybe an old furnace was removed and they just covered the chimney with rock after that. Remove oil furnace and install heat pump...no longer need chimney. New people move in and install stove... incorrectly without liner.. and you ingredients for fire.

BINGO! I think that's exactly what happened.

gzecc said:
Just imagine the thought process of the idiot who covered that hole with sheetrock?
+1 working in the construction field i see some stuff that you jsut have to stop and shake your head. specailly wiring. open up a wall and you find some scary stuff.

ecocavalier02 said:
+1 working in the construction field i see some stuff that you jsut have to stop and shake your head. specailly wiring. open up a wall and you find some scary stuff.

Some of the posts I see here scare the hell out of me. They usually start off "Hi. Newby here. I am going to..." Looking for somebody to confirm it is alright to do something I suspect that they know is insane. Then somebody will post telling them why they shouldn't and then you never hear from them again.

You just KNOW they went ahead and did it. :ahhh:

When I removed the fireplace and it's chimney we discovered 2 take offs on the same unlined flue, with nothing but a pie plate or coffee can between it and the studs that framed over them. It's downright scary what people will do sometimes.

We had a similar incident in a house here recently. A family was renting the house and used the wood stove as the sole source of heat. At some point the wood cook stove was removed in the kitchen and they just rocked over the hole in the masonry chimney. To top it off they hung cabinets over the rock. Their stove started a chimney fire and the rock burned setting the cabinets on fire.

You guys would not believe the stuff I have found in old and even newer houses.

BrotherBart said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Some of the posts I see here scare the hell out of me. They usually start off "Hi. Newby here. I am going to..." Looking for somebody to confirm it is alright to do something I suspect that they know is insane. Then somebody will post telling them why they shouldn't and then you never hear from them again.

You just KNOW they went ahead and did it. :ahhh:

Or they get a half a dozen folks saying the idea is bad, but try to argue why they think the idea would be OK . . .

Or they get a half dozen folks saying the idea is bad, one wacko comes along and says it should work or that they remember their great grandfather doing the same thing (before he burned down his house) and it should work . . . and they run with the minority opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.