danger zone or did I do this right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
This is my first full season of burning. I have a question/concern about my overnight burn last night.

I got home late last night, and the house was cold (50*), so at 9:45 I put in half a pine-pallet and it ran for a good 2.5 hours. The great thing about the Freedom is that I can bring the temps in the house up 10* in an hour from a cold start. Once it started coaling, a little after midnight, and the stove top was down to 300*, I loaded up 15 BioBricks. I've been experimenting with them recently. I have put 10 in at a time before, and the stovetop maxed out between 600* and 650*. This time I wanted to see if I could get a good long burn, so I put in 15.

When the stovetop reached 400* I pulled the air-control out to half. When it hit just under 500*, I cut the air completely. It kept slowly rising over the next hour to 675*. This is where I got concerned/confused. All my readings so far are from the Condar Medallion magnetic thermostat on the stovetop. It seems to be pretty accurate compared with the IR. Then I took some readings from the IR, and saw one spot on the stovetop that read 780*. (800+ is considered overfiring for the Freedom.) At no point was the stovetop glowing, or any other color than black. The secondary tubes in the firebox, however, were glowing a little. And an IR reading of the glass topped 800, and even was close to 900. I had the blower on high the entire time. At no point did the Condar ever go above 700*. The secondary show in the firebox was amazing. It was right out of Lord of the Rings. There was a small stream of flame coming up out of the BioBricks which lit up the secondary tubes with blue flame all across the top of the firebox for 3 or 4 inches. It was still doing this 3 hours later when I went to bed.

I opened the bypass for a few minutes and that brought the temps down. I had to reopen it a few more times until it finally dropped to 600* on the Condar and I felt safe going to bed. By this time it was 3 am. :(

But, it was giving great heat, and still is! Even as I type this 9.5 hours later the fan is still going on high and the stovetop is at 200*.

This is my idea of a great overnight burn. As a first year burner, I need some comments or reassurance that this is how it's done. I just want to be sure I'm not pushing the line.

How much should I trust the reading on the Condar? Maybe I'll try sticking it in the oven to see how accurate it is.

Did I need to open the bypass, or was I being overly cautious as a first year burner?

Sounds to me like you were getting to the upper end of proper temps. Consider shutting it down sooner to see if you can maintain a more constant output from the bricks. If not, I would consider stepping back to your 10 brick load. Those bricks have a bunch of btu's available. It is your ability to control the release of those btu's that really count.

On the other hand, cudos to you for not stuffing the box and walking away. Your concern and control of the stove eliminated a possible "Bad outcome".

15 bricks is a crapload!!!!!!!!

I have never used BioBricks but I know they are super dry and could only imagine what would happen it I loaded 15 of them in my stove. I have the liberty and it likes to run in the 650 to 750 degree range, but I never get concerned until it starts to go passed 750 at which point I turn the blower on. Its only seen temps above 800 once. I burn super dry oak, locust, and ash, and I know if I load up the stove on to large of a coal bed the stove takes off like a rocket and it look likes a nuclear meltdown in the stove. My air tubes also glow cherry red when the stove really gets going. I also like how these stoves can warm up a room or house very quick. The liberty will keep the living room between 85 and 90 degrees even on single digit nights. Try burning down the coal bed more and from past experience, I would suggest not loading the stove(or in your case the insert) full because they like to run very hot.

That sounds similar to my experience. They do put out a lot of heat. When you load up with BioBricks the idea is to create a solid mass. Try to pack them tightly and be sure to reverse orientation at each row to eliminate continuous air gaps between rows.

Status
Not open for further replies.