Dangers of tree gum??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

Quick question: my FIL put 3 big pieces of wood in my stove (I was home, I was going to load it and he started without me). These 3 big pieces were loaded (large bumps in the wood) of tree sap. It is burning off quite well..

What are the chances this stuff lines my chimney?

It is sap from a Balsam Fir...

Just wondering...

Andrew

Andrew, just remember that so long as wood is dried properly, there should be no problems. Fresh cut or recently cut is a no go.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Andrew, just remember that so long as wood is dried properly, there should be no problems. Fresh cut or recently cut is a no go.

As always...I simply never saw wood like this, I didn't plan on burning it. I had put the 3 pieces aside. One piece has a large bump in it..it seemed like sap formed a pocket there..the sap was dry but it still burned!

Andrew

Sounds good Andrew. I'm sure you need the wood now and hope you are staying warm. Now quit sending that cold air our way, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.