1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Darn Computer locks up

Post in 'New Forum Hints and your Questions & Suggestions!' started by Beer Belly, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    For the past few days, whenever I visit the site and click on a post, my computer locks and I can't get off the post I was reading. I end up having to go off line to start over again.....and get locked into the next post I click on to read.....then repeat to get out. This only happens on the Hearth, all other sites are fine.....any clue ???

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Do you have any strange security settings? Is Javascript on?

Have you been a bad boy?
    ;)

Do you know how to delete the hearth.com cookie and flush your browser cache?
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'm having the same problems......with my PC, laptop and even my phone......
    Maybe I was a bad boy?
    I have to double and triple-click on links to open them, seems like everything I click on takes me back to the forum homepage. Computer is acting like its on 64k dial-up. Very very slow (sometimes 3 or 4 minutes to open up a post). All other sites are fine, its just hearth.com. Are you throttling access from my IP address, Craig?? ;)
  4. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Not me....but the forum contains certain "disciplinary" automatic actions, where if a person gets a certain number of warnings they get sorta spanked...
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I haven't received any warnings, so maybe the server is goofing up??
  6. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Weird - you two are the only ones reporting it so far....let me look around for errors...
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I had some issues last week while using Internet Explorer . . . I couldn't use the back arrow. Not an issue with Firefox.
  8. Beer Belly

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I have been a good boy.....but I wouldn't mind a spanking now and then;lol. I have cleaned and cleared all cookies and such, and still have this issue....although, not all the time, but at least 90% of the time.
  9. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Hmmmmm........I will try a couple things.
    Have you tried another computer? Another browser?
  10. Beer Belly

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I tried a different computer....same problem....maybe it's the browser (Internet Explorer)
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I think my issues are on my end . . . now Facebook posts are not showing any pics.
  12. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Try running IE with compatibility mode flipped (if "on" - turn "off" or visa versa)
  13. ScotO

ScotO Guest

The thing that confuses me is I'm having the same problem on my laptop, PC, and smartphone. Even when I use tapatalk instead of the phones browser, it takes constant refreshing and reloading to get the posts to open up.......

Baffled......
  14. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    i think yous are being targeted by North Korean cyber attack. Have no fear...I shall get them with my counter cyber attack...they will be inundated with pop ups of Olivia Newton-John's "lets get physical" video.
  15. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I am going to try turning an add-on off (it shows the number of posts waiting in the forum tabs, etc) - tell me if it makes a difference.
  16. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Any of you "locked up" folks notice an improvement since I turned that thing off last night?
  17. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Not really, Craig. Takes me multiple attempts to open a thread or reply, getting into my convo's is even harder.....I could see it being a problem on my end if it wasn't on both my computers AND my smartphone (both browser AND Tapatalk).

Baffled.
  18. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Scotty - on your desktop machines, when it is trying to load the page, down in the very left corner of the screen does it say "www.hearth.com/blahblahblabh"? Or does the screen just stop reacting?
  19. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Are there problems when using it in other networks other than your house?

Strange......
  20. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    You think you go problems, try doing this with dial-up<>.
  21. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Well...his smart phone and tapatalk should be completely separate from his home connection.
  22. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Those three warning points he has follow him around though.
  23. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I see it following his signon, but would that have an effect on his actual connection? At first blush, I wouldn't think so.
  24. ScotO

ScotO Guest

So, I have three warning points? Never was aware of that. Maybe that's why it's so difficult for me to navigate. How come I was never given a formal warning?

If it bothers you guys that much in regards to what I do and say, I won't bother hanging out here anymore.
    I ain't gonna waste half an hour trying to get in to a thread or two to talk or share information, or whatever......sorry if I offended anyone. But I can't change my beliefs or who I am......for anybody.
  25. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I do
    I don't know what they affect. I just mentioned them since Craig did early in the thread as a possible cause and I looked at his profile after that.