Darn Tootin' They Are!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
Just coming up on the anniversary of our install, and getting to compare our oil consumption to last year. It's looking like we're running only about 1/3 as much oil as last year so far, that's with burning the stove 20/7 (I don't get up in the middle of the night to reload, and let the furnace kick on in the morning to heat up the house while we're getting up). I'm glad oil is as cheap as it is right now, but we'd be saving some serious bucks if it was expensive as last year. Just glad to be burning, Happy Holidays to all my fellow WOODNUTS!

Attachments

• fuel cost 2.jpg
    fuel cost 2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 662
  • fuel cost 1.jpg
    fuel cost 1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 672
That photo could be a pristine ad for a wood stove company! Love it!

Shari

It'll work better if you shut the door. :p Rick

My natural gas supplier sends me a statement that has a graph showing the consumption for the last 12 months. I cannot help but notice that it closely resembles the Cisco logo. (Networks and IT is my day job). There are two peaks, one at Spring and one at Fall when it isn't cold enough to burn.

Attachments

• Cisco.jpg
    Cisco.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 605
I knew I should've put a third picture up of the door closed, with all the smart a$$e$ around here! ;-) That Rick is always ready to pounce.....

LLigetfa said:
My natural gas supplier sends me a statement that has a graph showing the consumption for the last 12 months. I cannot help but notice that it closely resembles the Cisco logo. (Networks and IT is my day job). There are two peaks, one at Spring and one at Fall when it isn't cold enough to burn.

Which also has a stunning resemblance to the profile of the Golden Gate Bridge. Data sometimes stacks up like that, for instance the plot of the frequency of fission products ("daughters" of U-235) vs. atomic weight. It's called a Bi-Modal distribution technically, but we always used to call them Mae West curves. ;-P Rick

pulldownclaw said:
I knew I should've put a third picture up of the door closed, with all the smart a$$e$ around here! ;-) That Rick is always ready to pounce.....

Sorry, claw...I really did like your clever pic. Rick

fossil said:
pulldownclaw said:

Sorry, claw...I really did like your clever pic. Rick

I didnt think moderators were supposed to make smart ass remarks. You can allways step down rick and go back to your old ways

fossil said:
but we always used to call them Mae West curves. ;-P Rick

Mae West curves ehh? Some occupations are just sexier than others.

I'm afraid if I compiled all the data from the waste treatment plant I work at, the graph would have to resemble a pile of crap. I need to change jobs!

Hanko said:
...I didnt think moderators were supposed to make smart ass remarks.

I learned from the best of them. Even janitors need to have fun once in a while. Rick

pulldownclaw said:
Just coming up on the anniversary of our install, and getting to compare our oil consumption to last year. It's looking like we're running only about 1/3 as much oil as last year so far, that's with burning the stove 20/7 (I don't get up in the middle of the night to reload, and let the furnace kick on in the morning to heat up the house while we're getting up). I'm glad oil is as cheap as it is right now, but we'd be saving some serious bucks if it was expensive as last year. Just glad to be burning, Happy Holidays to all my fellow WOODNUTS!

Very clever, and happy holidays to you. How's the back..seem to remember you laying yourself out for a few weeks. Quick question, how many bricks have you cracked stuffing your Hampton, or is just me?

pulldownclaw said:

makes for a heck of an ad for any woodstove , particularly the one you have there. you ought to e mail that to the manufacturer, im sure they would get a kick out of it

FWIW i wish i had thought of it ;-P nice post bro

Hey churchie,

The back is doing pretty well, can't believe it was a year ago. I celebrated by busting my knuckles open fixing our clothes dryer and needing six stitches! :-S

I guess I was due for my yearly injury, although I'll take the stitches over the back pain any day.

I did notice the othe day that I've got a cracked brick in the back, probably from forcing in some splits that are a little too long. Have you ordered any replacements, and from where?

And Rick, keep 'em comin'! :cheese:

pulldownclaw said:
I guess I was due for my yearly injury, although I'll take the stitches over the back pain any day.

I did notice the othe day that I've got a cracked brick in the back, probably from forcing in some splits that are a little too long. Have you ordered any replacements, and from where?

Yearly injury, yeah I'm a big believer in the law of averages. I took a wonder bar to the nose three weeks ago and blood went everywhere, so hopefully I am good for another year. I've replaced I think 3-4 bricks and three more are cracked horizontally right about the middle of the brick. They are $3 each at local fireplace shop, although Corie said the better pumice bricks (see https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12395/) are better insulators and since they came with the stove originally should be replaced with same. So I went up to the fireplace shop last week and they quoted $12 each for the same damn brick that I bought for $4 last year, what the hey....

Another quick question, have you used any Super Cedar firestarters in your Hampton? Reason I ask is that there is what appears to a couple small what I'll call oil stains on my ash lip (aka ash catcher). I have used dawn dish detergent to try to get it out but it remains, however slight. Since I have the matte finish I'm thinking something in the firestarter 'crumbs' (the few I've used I've broken into quarters) that have fallen onto the lip might have caused it. If you have the enamel finish assuming this would be a nonissue. Thanks

Thanks for the firebrick info, I'll be needing it very soon.

I didn't use the supercedars, as I've got plenty of kindling, so I threw the supercedars in with my camping stuff as that's usually when I REALLY need help getting a fire going....and I do have the enamel, so can't help you there. Now if you had asked me about chipped enamel.... :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.