1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Darned moth on top of soapstone (What a stain)

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Bub381, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    I can't believe the stain this little moth left.It's about the size of a quarter and dark brown.Urrrr!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Three years ago we were under siege by moths. The stove would collect a dozen a night when they would head for it and get toasted.
  3. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    ugh! I had cabinet moths over the summer, disgusting stuff! Had to throw away everything in my kitchen cabinets.
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    You can try to "lift' the stain out of the soapstone by soaking a white terry cloth towel with Hydrogen Peroxide & laying it on the stone - WHEN IT'S NOT BURNING. I've had success using this method in the past, on other "soft" stones like marble...It's best to try it on an area that can't be seen - like the rear of the stove. Unfortunately, the towel won't lay there, so it may have to be held by a brick or something heavy. The problem might end up being a larger discoloration from the peroxide, so if you do find that out on the back of the stove, at least it won't be visible...Good luck!
  5. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    Will try that thanks.It is right on top in back right corner of lid.Thanks all.
  6. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    Oh we got pantry moths from an open bag of birdseed we bought but this could've came from the wood.Either way they're greasy little buggahs.
  7. HollowHill

HollowHill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Shouldn't steel wool take it out? Ask WS.
  8. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Steel wool will remove the buffed finish on the Soapstone, & the stain's probably below that surface. You really wanna draw it out of the stone if you can...
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Woodstock recommends removing discoloring (from cooking) by sanding lightly with .0000 steel wool. For removing light scratches, sand lightly with .00 steel wool or 120 grit sandpaper. The surface can then be smoothed with 400 grit sandpaper or .0000 steel wool. (And I wonder is this stain would be similar?)

Remove dust after sanding with a vacuum cleaner and not a damp cloth. A damp cloth will simply spread it around.
    Bub381 likes this.
  10. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    I was kinda hoping to at least burn the moisture part out of it and then treat the coloring with the light sanding etc.
  11. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    I had a couple stains on ours that just went away after a few hot burns...

Some did not and I resorted to light sanding.. worked fine.
  12. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Woodstock doesn't have the buffed finish like Hearthstone does. I've removed a few stains with fine steel wool and it worked fine.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. dwaynecornhauler

dwaynecornhauler Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    Try lighter fluid when the stove is cool.