Dauntless with the Catalytic Combustor....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

a59cheffy

Jan 18, 2023
Coos Bay, OR
I am amazed at how easy it is to use my Dauntless with the combustor installed. I just don't understand why HHT (aka Forge and Flame) still market VC wood stoves as "Flexburn". Granted it took me a season to figure out this stove. Now in hindsight my dealer should have never let me walk away without buying the performance package. It should be included! Why it's not just flabbergasts me!

It depends on the setup and how the stove is run. I recently saw a posting on reddit by a Dauntless owner that hasn't installed the cat. Said the stove was working great. The glass stays clean and the stove warms well. The difference may be that he always runs it toward the hot side and is not trying to go low and slow.

glad its working out.. back when I bought my stove.. there was no option not to have the catalyst.. only to remove it if you want to.. This is a head scratcher to me..

I dont know about you guys.. Id find it awful difficult to run the stove high all the time and not bake myself out of the house

glad its working out.. back when I bought my stove.. there was no option not to have the catalyst.. only to remove it if you want to.. This is a head scratcher to me..

I dont know about you guys.. Id find it awful difficult to run the stove high all the time and not bake myself out of the house
Yes, that is the difference for many. The reddit poster was able to run the stove at a higher temp without overheating the place. Or maybe he opened a window.

Yes, that is the difference for many. The reddit poster was able to run the stove at a higher temp without overheating the place. Or maybe he opened a window.

I dont understand why someone would run it that way.. a stove with the catalyst in is able to be run at lower temperatures when the heat demand is low. or medium when the heat demand is moderate.. I don't know.. maybe im looking at it the wrong way.. I thought that the goal was to run the stove as long as possible with out relighting it or making it overly hot in the house.. Im under the impression that opening windows is counter productive.

Or, he needed more BTUs ("able to run at a higher temp without overheating the place")...

The second half of my first season without the combustor I burned hot. Bypass open. Around 500 to 600+ degrees. Had to constantly feed the stove every 45 minutes or so. Could only load it halfway or it would climb way above 600 degrees. Used up alot of wood!

Second season, now with combustor installed, temps around 400-500 degrees, firebox full of wood. Only need to attend to it every hour and half or more. Using at least a third less fuel. Still heats the house up just as much.