de-Slime-ing trailer wheel/ tires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all-

I have a 5x8 utility trailer with 12 inch wheels and 5.30x12 tires.

It's almost 18 years old with original tires, and a couple of years ago, in an effort at temporary frugality that I knew I would probably regret (but where I needed to use it on the highway) I installed "slime" in the weathered looking tires.

I now want to do it right and replace the tires.

I've changed tires on other things like rototillers and mowers, so am confident that I can swear my way through getting the old tires off and new ones on.

But if I understand the slime correctly, it is bad news when you go to replace a tire.

Any suggestions on best way to approach this?

Thanks!r

Best way is to order three new tires pre-mounted on new wheels from e-trailer. Free shipping over $150. :)

I have a bead breaker and tire irons for the motorcycle. I do swap the tires on the boat trailer because the OEM wheels have really good galvanizing. Its not worth it for the utility trailer. Its like $15 extra over the tire price to get a new wheel, new valve stem, and mounting.

Balance them yourself with stick-on wheel weights on the hub.

Hi
I have a tire shop and see all kinds of tire stuff.I reuse slime,it's easy to clean up dosn't turn the rubber slimy.
Water wash up.Had one customer that did deliverys,every season he changed his tires and would add fix a flat just in case he got a nail or rock.
Thomas

No problems. You are replacing the tires, when the tire is off just clean the wheel.
Shouldn't effect anything, may make them easier to come off, if not I use dish soap.
Slim makes it almost impossible to repair a tire with an internal patch, but shouldn't hurt the wheels ;)

take note of the idea of ordering new rims and tires. You are in the northeast, rims will corrode over 18yrs. Time+aggravation may= new rims/tires all mounted up. Just a thought.

If you want, go ahead and break the bead. If the rims are clean/rust-free inside, then go ahead and re-use them. Otherwise it's probably better to replace the entire tire/wheel assembly. Making a mess when removing "slimed" tires is unavoidable but the good news is that plenty of water will wash it away quite easily.

The depth of practical knowledge on here is surpassed only by peoples' generosity in sharing it. Thank you all!

I love slime. It's in my motorcycle tires, and tractor tires.

Another vote for just ordering new mounted tires. I went thru the same exercise a few years ago, and found I could get new tires mounted on new wheels for about the same price as replacing the tires and blasting/repainting the old wheels. TSC had prices as good as anyone I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.