Dead Quadrafire Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IanS

Nov 7, 2016
North NJ
I have a Quadrafire Castile (Free-Standing). It's gone dead. I tested the power cord, it has 120V at the stove. The thermostat connection tested a closed circuit. But when I plug the unit in, there's no lights on the control box, and dead silence.

The fuse next to the Red "call for heat" light is good. There's no fuse above the power inlet as the manual indicates..

I located 2 snap discs. 1 is near the edge of the unit's housing, it has no reset switch. At cold, it's open. The second disc is on the auger motor, it seems to have a reset switch but pushing that did nothing. I can't find the 3rd snap disc, if there is one.

Do the snap discs stop any lights appearing on the control box when the unit is first plugged in? If so, where's the 3rd disc? If not, is the control box dead?

Yes the #3 snap disc can shut power down to the stove. This is from pg 31 of the owners manual.

17. Snap Disc #1 (Convection Blower) 110°F
Snap disc #1 is located on the right side of the
appliance on the bottom of the heat exchanger box.
There are 2 purple wires connected to it. This snap
disc turns the convection blower on and off as needed.
Power is always present at snap disc #1.

18. Snap Disc #2 (Fuel Delivery Interrupt) 250°F
Snap disc #2 is also located on the back side of the
feed drop tube. There are 2 orange wires connected
to it. This snap disc will turn off the feed system which
will turn off the appliance if an over fire condition should
occur or if the convection blower should fail to operate.
If this occurs the snap disc will automatically reset
itself.

19. Snap Disc #3 (Back Burn Protector) 250°F
Snap disc #3 is mounted on the back of the auger tube
in the center of the appliance and has a reset button.
To access it remove the right side panel. If the fire tries
to burn back into the feed system or push exhaust up
the feed tube, this snap disc will shut the entire system
off. This disc must be manually reset.

Not likely the SD3, most likely the control box. Try to find a dealer who will test yours in their stove on the floor.

I have a Quadrafire 100,,, ( yeah, pretty olde). Had trouble of various kinds, and the guys on this forum worked me through it,,,,be patient, they will help.....However I was told my control box was ‘dead’ and I must buy a new one,,,,took it to my local electroncs guy and he was able to repair it so it worked fine...saved me $300.

Have you tried removing the control box and reinstating? Just to make sure it's making a connection, the contacts do tend to oxidize. What does your control box look like? Double check your fuse with a multimeter to make sure it has continuity.