Dead standing Elm...Update:{)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno who dropped this....could this be the Elm ???.....also what I was told was some Black Birch ??(last pic)

Glad to hear we have some elm fans here. It seems to get a bad rap due to being hard to split, but I've always found it responds well to a wedge and sledge, but if you use an 8 lb maul you'll be disappointed. Give it plenty of time to season, and it will burn well, and keep coals with the best of them. Found some this year that was dead standing for at least 10 years, and it was dry as a bone, and split very easily. I used an ordinary axe, too. I also found it doesn't stink when it's dry like that, just a slight sweet scent. Last season we cut 3 american elms from our yard due to the elm seed bug invasion (our valley in Idaho was the first place these little buggers were seen anywhere in the country, some idiot brought them from europe, and houses were getting invaded by the thousands. They would literally crawl through every crack and crevice imaginable, and inveitably would fall from the ceiling right into your dinner plate. They don't taste good. They resemble box elder bugs, and I hope to god they don't spread to wherever y'all are.). I regret giving away 4 cords of elm then, this was before I joined the forum and learned that elm wasn't necessarily bad wood.

Hi Bear Belly. Sorry about your health issues. Hopefully everything will be ok. I don't know how far are you from me ( I'm in Southington) but let me know if I could be of any help. I love to cut and split wood , so if you need help , just let me know. Good luck.

Reactions: Seanm
Hey BB - if you get a crew together I'm only a couple hours away, I got a saw and a splitter, I wouldn't mind to take a day and help out.

Thanks for the offers.....if need be, I'll give a shout...Thanks again. I don't think I ever had Elm before.....got enough there to make a separate section in the yard for it.....usually get small amounts and mix it in with all the other wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.